Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what can we say and not say in a Review?

1. So what can we say and not say in a Review?

"This "advice campaign" for Jeremy needs to end. Take it to a chat room...it's getting exhausting (even if the majority of you are being sincere). Not that it's getting negative, but you know what I am getting at?"

No FC things, okay, I dig it.

No advice? Chris, come on. What's the point of posting any review if a person can't put up their thoughts on it? Thoughts that include advice or critisisim (gah, I hate spelling).

Come on dude, I'm all for civility, but you might as well let him post a review and then instantly lock it instead.

2. Advice? Seems you found it in the context in that quote. I guess you thought it was some sort of forum mandate?. The thread was closed for the time being so that any potential FC air doesn't slip through. I doubt that it was a personal offense against you...certainly I didn't call you out personally (or anyone for that matter). I closed the thread and moved on. Was that so wrong?

I am beginning to think we probably should just "ban" him from writing here because it's definitely doing more harm then good: lol: I am not taking sides, or else you would actually see people getting banned. But let's face it...his writing skills (if we should call it that, I am not the one here looking to be the next statistic on his editorial integrity, heh). It is clearly obvious that all of the advice which is dispensed goes through one ear and out the other, or something.

Lock his reviews after composed. Hm, there's a thought. I can easily unlock those threads as much as I can close them. In fact, I should probably make a thread just so that all those "trying" to help could speak with him in one thread, instead of all of his reviews being filled with the same type of discussion. Hey, maybe he's really trying to learn; certainly looks capable of improving his ability... but here's one thing, there's feedback/critique, and then there's pretty much this tone that I see as of late apparently because he's been so arrogant about it all - part of the Master Plan, god I hope not)

3. Originally posted by bahn
    Advice? Seems you found it in the context in that quote. I guess you thought it was some sort of forum mandate?. The thread was closed for the time being so that any potential FC air doesn't slip through. I doubt that it was a personal offense against you...certainly I didn't call you out personally (or anyone for that matter). I closed the thread and moved on. Was that so wrong?

I am beginning to think we probably should just "ban" him from writing here because it's definitely doing more harm then good: lol: I am not taking sides, or else you would actually see people getting banned. But let's face it...his writing skills (if we should call it that, I am not the one here looking to be the next statistic on his editorial integrity, heh). It is clearly obvious that all of the advice which is dispensed goes through one ear and out the other, or something.

Lock his reviews after composed. Hm, there's a thought. I can easily unlock those threads as much as I can close them. In fact, I should probably make a thread just so that all those "trying" to help could speak with him in one thread, instead of all of his reviews being filled with the same type of discussion. Hey, maybe he's really trying to learn; certainly looks capable of improving his ability... but here's one thing, there's feedback/critique, and then there's pretty much this tone that I see as of late apparently because he's been so arrogant about it all - part of the Master Plan, god I hope not)
    It was not a personal offense to me. Shall I not submit things in the future that concearn me, and baffle me about this fine community? Perhaps the modest proposal of a limit on that could help too.

If you are insinuating that I'm calling you out, then you are correct. That's what a feedback/troubleshooting board is for, no? I see a problem (as do others that I know of), and I address it in the only way that I can, since the thread is now locked.

Burgundy said no FC talk or actions in the Review Section, cool. Great idea, and I'll abide. Limiting critique or advice, when it is not inflamitory, it stupid.

4. Matt, how can you expect me to take the "advice" of folks seriously when 90% of their previous advice has involved telling me to go blind, or stop reviewing, or a combination of the two?
    Bahn, I dig your idea of locking the threads after they're made, but that's needless. In the end, that stuff will just spill out into other boards, just like it always has.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Originally posted by Jeremy
    Matt, how can you expect me to take the "advice" of folks seriously when 90% of their previous advice has involved telling me to go blind, or stop reviewing, or a combination of the two?
    Bahn, I dig your idea of locking the threads after they're made, but that's needless. In the end, that stuff will just spill out into other boards, just like it always has.
    Now you're just making excuses.

Jeremy, the problem is that you're not accepting ANY advice whatsoever. Don't insist that you are, because you're not. I can tell. If you made an honest attempt to accept criticism, you would not be having all these problems.

Hell, I even offered to send you a free copy of Elements of Style and you didn't even respond.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but Jeremy, you need to make the first move. Don't be so stubborn, and the harrassment will stop.

Here's my proposed solution: Allow Jeremy and his critics to post as normal, but the moment Jeremy freaks out, ban him from Reader Reviews (if possible). Conversely, any FC-worthy criticism earns that critic a one-way trip to Bansville.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. Um, I had no idea you were actually being serious there. Anyway, if I was to accept that, and I didn't totally change my reviewing style, I'm sure folks would just bitch about that. I fail to see how it's just "making an excuse" when it's a valid reason. Could you take the "advice" of someone seriously when they've wished you bodily harm?
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. Jeremy, I am older and have more writing experience than you. So is MVS. Almost all of that advice is valid. It doesn't matter who said it, Adolf Hitler could have come up with it and it would still have been valid. Good writing advice is good writing advice.

I don't know how I can make this any clearer to you.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

8. I know it's good advice, and I've taken it into account with some of my latest reviews (which I don't plan on posting on TNL due to the usual backlash.) Also, unless I can figure out how to put that advice into the review at the time I write it, it won't make it into the initial draft. I usually update reviews at GameFAQs for that very reason.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Originally posted by Jeremy
    (which I don't plan on posting on TNL due to the usual backlash.)
    Ultra fine decision make is a go!

10. Originally posted by bahn
    I am beginning to think we probably should just "ban" him from writing here because it's definitely doing more harm then good
    Sounds good to me.