Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lindows.com

1. Lindows.com

anyone heard of this? Its pretty cool its a version of linux that runs windows software, it comes out later this year and its only 99 bucks. www.lindows.com
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

2. Last I heard, it just uses a modified version of wine and has only slight compatibility improvements over the regular version of wine(not too great).
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

3. I still wouldn't be surprised if MS puts the kabosh on it before it releases.

Don't think that's possible now, but who knows. From what I've heard, lindows can run windows software but it's not a windows emulator which helps it out a bit if I'm right. Also they won the lawsuit over it's name that Microsoft filed.
    Taking it one day at a time.

5. My copy of Windows runs my Windows apps just fine already...

6. Lindows is simply a Linux distribution that has been modified a bit to make running Win32 (the Windows 32-bit API) software a little easier. You can currently run Win32 software on any Linux distribution as long as WINE or some other Windows-for-Linux libraries are installed. That's literally what WINE is -- a set of libraries preforming the same functions as Win32. It's not an emulator, unlike the old Connectix software on the Mac.

You can actually get other distributions for free on the net, and I think WINE or other Win32 libraries for free too. Lindows is not $99, that's the price for joining their "Insider" program to view the sneak peak editions they're putting out before version 1.0. I believe charging for Lindows after 1.0 would violate the GPL (the license Linux is under).

7. WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator.

Lindows has it promise... but I question the need for this. I mean... why not just use Windows? 2K preferably. It's not like Linux is as ultra-sound and stable as it is made out to be. It kicks 95/98/Me's ass all around the joint and if you're not upgradeing to XP or 2K Lindows should be fine... though it'll not (likely) come close to the functionality of 2K and the other one... oh yeah, XP.

I still 'use' Linux meaning I've installed it on my computer (dual boot) and I use it to pretty much write and compile code in as well as (in a few days) a web-server. Not that I can't do this on Windows, it's just that I really don't know how too as well.

ºTracer
    o_O

8. Originally posted by Lhadatt
    Lindows is simply a Linux distribution that has been modified a bit to make running Win32 (the Windows 32-bit API) software a little easier. You can currently run Win32 software on any Linux distribution as long as WINE or some other Windows-for-Linux libraries are installed. That's literally what WINE is -- a set of libraries preforming the same functions as Win32. It's not an emulator, unlike the old Connectix software on the Mac.

You can actually get other distributions for free on the net, and I think WINE or other Win32 libraries for free too. Lindows is not $99, that's the price for joining their "Insider" program to view the sneak peak editions they're putting out before version 1.0. I believe charging for Lindows after 1.0 would violate the GPL (the license Linux is under).
    GNU GPL. It would violate it... but as such - Distros CAN be sold.. you just don't have to buy them ya see. Most can just install from an FTP.

ºTracer
    o_O

I actually agree with EThugg here.

10. Originally posted by piku
    I actually agree with EThugg here.

See? It wasn't that bad, was it?