Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lindows.com

1. For the desktop market -- windows is still the leader hands down.
    For the server market -- any *nix whoops microsoft's ass hands down.
    Now it would be nice if companies would support linux to make it become a better desktop os but not yet apparently =/
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

2. Depends on the server Psx... personally, from all my experience Linux offers (or any GNU) but ONE thing over Windows - A better environment for calling and compileing CGI on a WAN. In perl mostly (which has been my bane recently!). This CAN be done in windows - how well I know not - but beyond that Linux isn't god of OSes - even on servers. Where I'm hopeing to get a job at they run Win NT servers (swiched to 2K recently) - from the looks of things over there, Windows does a nice job.

Keep in mind I used to HATE both Windows and Microsoft (because I liked linux AND Macs). I still hate Win 95/98/Me but NT works great for me and does almost everything I need to do on it that I had to do on Linux but Linux could not do everything that I wanted to do that I could on Windows... not even close. I still like Linux and Macs - In laptops, none are better than Mac's line. I generally don't need Linux for anything anymore - but I use it when I want to feel cool again or so that I don't get booted out of IRC channels for useing mIRC :/

Open Source is good for some people - but those people need to realize that it's a distictly BAD thing for MOST people.
    o_O

3. ummm... what?

I've always known a bit about Linux, I played with it for years because, in high school, I was a Linux weenie and hoped that it'd one day somehow topple the Win'blows' empire. I never went into the kernel, but that's just because it seemed intimidating. After a spell, I decided that I liked games better than Linux and I went to 98 SE, I hated it for the longest time, but it played the games I wanted so I was content to dual boot (another mistake when useing 95/98). I got a copy of 2K and within a week my outlook on MS and thier OSes changed completely. I've rarely used Linux since then. I see little point to it. Mandrake 7 is the last Linux distrobution I've ever used and I still use Disk Druid to "partichin" my HDD when I need it (Funny to old Red Hat users, refering to the "Redneck" install guide) but Windows 2K (XP as well) is great - No complaints at all... in fact... I'd say it's more solid than any distro of Linux I've ever used.

ºTracer
    o_O

4. Notice I said that any unix based (*nix) OS is better then microsoft for a server. From what I gather BSD makes the best server and is better then linux in that respect.
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

5. I've never tried BSD - I suppose I could but... well.. I fgure that in the end, why get something that does one or two things really really well when you can get something that does just about everything to varying degrees of wellness? As a server solution, I wouldn't doubt that GNU is what is most popular and the best choice. But I just can't say that any distro of Linux is hands down better than NT/2K. Better than XP maybe, but not many things are as bulky as XP o_O
    o_O