Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate movie critics

1. I hate movie critics

Well, I've never been a fan of movie critics. Usually they tend to judge films, while sitting on the high horse, with strong preference for dramas over action or horror. But it never bugged me much.

But this morning, while driving to work, I was listening to radio show, and they had this guy do a review of Final Destination 2. He didnt like the movie, and I wont defend it, since I havent seen it yet, and it might indeed be bad. But thats not the point.

The point is, that HE was BIASED against it from the start, and by that he would've never liked it, even if it was best horror film. He bitched about how movie was disturbing with showing graphic death scenes and violence, and what really disturbed him was that audience liked those. He said how sick people should be to like stuff like that, and 2 people who host the show, were joining him in bashing horror and violent movies, and scremaning why do we really need them.

That part really pissed me off. First they get a person who clearly biased and let him review film, that he WONT like, and that might influence other people not to go and see it. Just because HE doesnt like the genre, doesnt mean others shouldnt to, nor they stop making those.

Hell, Lets all just watching frigging disney family crap or highly thought provoking dramas, and die from boredom.

2. Non-print critics tend to be colossal morons. Since everything they say disappears quickly, you only get bombastic cliches from them; "I give this a 10!"; "A four-star knockout!"; "A rock 'em, sock 'em roller coaster!"

3. That the thing, while this guy is not paper critic, like Ebert for example, he is still well known, and has alot of Hollywood connections, and tv appearances.

It just makes me angry that he puts his own biase and preference into the review, instead of objective look at the film. Plus all those WHY they make this Crap comments, that followed.

4. Was it Leonard Maltin? It was Leonard Maltin, wasn't it? Here, let me go punch him in the neck.

5. Nope, Not Molton. Dude's name Geno(sp) Solomon. His been on tv interviewing the stars and all, and also does movie reviews around here.

He pretty much sucks too, if you ask me

6. You may hate them, but that is their job, to judge movies. Some are worse than others, but I think it's important to have people who like movies and who hate them, even from the start. It helps many people decide what to see. For instance, those who didn't like the first or those who have queasy stomachs may take his advice and avoid FD2. Maybe you disagree, but then again, perhaps the review wasn't intended for you. The same thing goes for video games and I'm sure you've done your fair share of critique on those.

SC

7. Yeah, but his commentary on how you would have to be sick to like it was uncalled for.
    God is Rome

8. Well, I'm fine with the review, that is his opinion, but then whats with rants of How People Actually Like This, or Who Needs All this Violence kind? That what really bothered me, not the bad review.

In the regard of them doing their job, wouldnt review supposed to be objective instead of biased? If person tries to find the faults from the start, and there are no chances for him enjoying said film, even if its great, just because he doesnt like the genre, will his Opinion be actually valuable to the readers?

9. I haven't read the review so I can't really give my best judgement. In regards to objectivity, it is the basis for good journalism, but not neccessarily opinion pieces. Reviewing requires some bias otherwise it wouldn't be a real review, just an explanation. And explanations give the readers nothing. They need to see the movie to see if the explanation is sound and by then, the purpose of a review is lost. I'm not defending this guy as the say all, know all authority on film. If someone wants to pay him for what he writes and people listen to him, then I can't really find fault. His opinion is valuable to people like him. He won't win any awards, but I've seen tons of horrible writers make it big.

SC

10. I don't like them either Depair.