Originally posted by Despair
Well, I've never been a fan of movie critics. Usually they tend to judge films, while sitting on the high horse, with strong preference for dramas over action or horror. But it never bugged me much.
Because dramas lend themselves more to intelligence than action/horror... that's just how it is. Not saying that all dramas are thought provoking - they aren't. Nor am I saying that action/horror can't be done well - The Usual Suspects and The Exorcist are both incredible. But it is generally true that the vast majority of the respective genres may lead people to think that way.

You mentioned that you'll die from boredom of dramas :P But I think a lot of people are turned off by the typical action film too. Just because it's got guns and maybe some nudity thrown in doesn't make it any more entertaining than one with nothing but dialog. It's all about what are they killing for... what is the mystery of this entire story... what these characters are talking about. Otherwise, what's to see that hasn't been shown a billion times already?

The point is, that HE was BIASED against it from the start, and by that he would've never liked it, even if it was best horror film. He bitched about how movie was disturbing with showing graphic death scenes and violence, and what really disturbed him was that audience liked those. He said how sick people should be to like stuff like that, and 2 people who host the show, were joining him in bashing horror and violent movies, and scremaning why do we really need them.
I agree with you in principle, although I'm not sure what you meant by him being "biased" against it from the start. From what you say, it sounds like he's against graphic violence and gore, which I think is a preference thing. I mean... lotsa anime is T&A, but I myself don't like T&A, yet anime is almost all I watch.

His comments about "sick people" are off-base, so you're right about that.

Just because HE doesnt like the genre, doesnt mean others shouldnt to, nor they stop making those.
I agree, but this happens all the time... You'll typically see game reviewers do the same for genres they dont' like. An shooter fan will get forced to do a Final Fantasy review. A Madden junkie has to review Mars Matrix. And often the reviews suffer because of it. It's unfair, but it happens all the time. I think the best way is to just have several people review a game. Then you the reader can see games from more than one perspective.