Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Console modifications.

1. Console modifications.

I'm just curious to see what kind of cosmetic or functional alterations you fine folks have made to your consoles or controllers. I noticed that someone (forgot who) had posted a picture of their Genesis with an s-video mod, and that got me thinkin'.

I used to make all kinds of crazy modifications to my stuff when I was a kid. I once built a controller just for Space Harrier on the Amiga, it was basically a mouse with a joystick grip, and it worked beautifully. I also liked to paint my stuff, but now that I live in an apartment, I don't have anywhere that I can use spray paint. I also did a lot of minor alterations and repairs, like replacing the SNES ASCII pad cord with a longer one, or changing the color of my systems' LEDs.

Recently, I put my DC in a new shell and replaced the power supply with an 80V-240V auto-switching one, so that I can take it with me next time I go abroad.

I also have the TV de Advance, but it's not working quite right for some reason. There's a vertical pattern of light and dark lines in the image on the TV screen, like every 3rd or 4th column of pixels is a bit too dark, but the LCD looks fine.

I think my next project will be to upgrade my XBOX to ATA100, install a bigger hd, and get the BIOS flashed. A friend of mine did something similar. He runs all of his games from the hd now, and the reduction in loading times is phenomenal. I guess it makes the XBOX even more PCish than it already is, but if it can make a Rallisport track load in less than 4 seconds, I don't think I would mind.

I'm going to leave my other consoles unaltered for now, but I'm thinking of getting some older systems to tinker with. An SMS2 video mod would be interesting.

So yeah, who's done what to which systems? Do tell.

2. Well, I installed a 3rd face button on one GBA (Doubles the "L") and put in an Afterburner.

I hooked a TV de Advance to a second GBA. I did the RGB mod on the TV de Advance for the best picture possible.

I installed Saturn and TG-16 controller pad PCB's in my MAS Supernova joysticks for use with those two systems.

I installed a new RGB input on my Wells Gardner monitor since the input it came with was some wacky thing nothing would hook up to.

I built wooden DDR pad sandwiches to keep from sliding around.

I also had a larger HD put into my Xbox along with a mod chip and all that good stuff to play homebrews, region free DVD's, and imports. But I didn't do the Xbox stuff, so that doesn't count.

3. I kicked my Dreamcast once so hard that it broke. Fucking Dreamcast.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

4. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    I installed Saturn and TG-16 controller pad PCB's in my MAS Supernova joysticks for use with those two systems.
    Where did you solder the wires? I was going to do something like this, but I'm not sure if it's better to connect straight to the IC, or just use the copper traces where the little rubbery things go.

5. I stuck a Toronto Maple Leafs sticker on my Xbox controller's jewel thingy.
    I don't care about hockey or anything like that...I just kinda had the sticker lying around and the controller's ugly cookie-sized jewel was bothering me.

6. I've done lots of things over the years...

-added AV output to my genesis (I had the parts and no Genesis AV cable...)
    -installed territory switches on several Saturns
    -modded many Playstations (myself, friends, neighbors, whatever)
    -language switch on a Neo CD
    -afterburner in my GBA
    -removed territory tabs on SNES and N64
    -RGB output on my TG16
    -built a supergun, various joysticks, etc
    -built two DDR hardpads

7. Originally posted by Masters
    I kicked my Dreamcast once so hard that it broke. Fucking Dreamcast.

I've done literally dozens of mods like this to my controllers. I only managed to undo 2 or 3, though.

8. While a lot of this stuff would be cool, I dont really have the time, and there's except DC and Saturn I'd bother with importing for.

However, I do discreetly carve my initials in all of my controllers, mostly so they don't get switched when people come over with their own stuff (especially at HaloFests, where there is much switching of equipment and seating).

That stuff they do at colorconsoles.com is pretty swag, too bad they got so overloaded. Hey, does anyone remember where you can get those funny GameCube "feet"? I've been searching, but without knowing what they're called, I'm not having any luck.

I've dabbled in mods myself, but I am officially out of it now, seeing as how everytime I do, I end up regretting it.

My afterburner is fine and dandy, not to mention easy to install, but I managed to get a lot of dust in the screen, and I'm far too lazy to take the thing apart and try to clean everything out. I should have just paid the extra 15 or so bucks to have it pro installed.

But, if there's anything that doesn't involve actual soldering, such as replacement cases or changing the aesthetics of the system, I'm all for it. My one successful "mod" is my Uber Gamegear.

I have a total of 3 gamegears, some in better condition than others, but only one had the old hardware that would use the TV Tuner. I scavenged parts from all the units so that i had a system that had what felt like new buttons and D pad, but with the old hardware so I could use the TV tuner. Yay!

I'm tempted to try to pull an LCD screen off of a new Majesco GG (they have the best GG screens) and try to put it with the old mainboard, but I'm not quite bold enough to try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

10. Wait, I just remembered...Once, I took the back of my N64's grey controller and combined it with the front of my N64's black controller. I had seem something similar in gamefan once, and my grey controller was dead anyways. It looked okay.