Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Xbox losses mount" = Good

1. "Xbox losses mount" = Good

Found on /. and News.com.com.com.com that MS has reported a loss in '02 double of the fourth quarter of '01. Though it's important to note that with $100 lost on each console sold, the losses can be interpreted as strong sales which would be good...right? So more money lost is more money gained down the road? Wack.

We all know that MS is going to be losing money for awhile but here is the juicy part,

"In the filing, Microsoft also said that it had guaranteed the repayment of yen-denominated bank loans for an undisclosed entity in which it has an investment. Microsoft said the guarantees, which continue until the loans and interest have been repaid in full, had a maximum amount of $559 million at Dec. 31. It also said it could recover a portion of the guarantees if the entity was liquidated."

MS invested in a Japanese company to keep them afloat? Which company is it? Sega maybe? Is Sega still worth the investment? *dodges rocks* Where's my new single player (RPG) Phantasy Star!?! Someone enlighten me!!

2. Re: "Xbox losses mount" = Good

Originally posted by Six
    Someone enlighten me!!
    For that you'll need to go to the top of the mountain.

3. I was watching the Screen Savers on Tech TV Canada this morning and they had an interview with some guy who wrote a book about Xbox. He was involved in and watched the devlopment of Xbox closely since it was in development. Anyway, he said that MS budgeted to lose $1billion on Xbox and I think he also said that they did not expect to see any profit until the next hardware version? Not sure about that last one.. he may have said a few years or something to that effect.

ps. I think the show was a repeat from about 2 weeks ago.

pps. Rumours are extremely strong that Phantasy Star V is in development for GBA, not Xbox.

4. The man who wrote the book was Dean Takahashi. He wrote "Opening the Xbox".

Now how are the losses good? I seem to be missing your entire point?

5. Re: Re: "Xbox losses mount" = Good

Originally posted by Melf
    For that you'll need to go to the top of the mountain.

6. Originally posted by Master
    The man who wrote the book was Dean Takahashi. He wrote "Opening the Xbox".

START
    If (each Xbox sold) = loss;
    and (Xbox sold) = "larger user base";
    while ("larger user base") = good;
    then loss = good;
    END

Because a larger user base means more third party support which means more games which should raise the number of quality titles though the ratio of quality to crap releases will lower the end result should be good for the gamer.

Right?

Hell I dunno. I'm a music major, I don't study ec'nomics or bidiness or readin' n' writin'

I'm just curious who MS is supporting with all that yen. I figured someone here would have a better idea than me.

7. well they're supporting SONY of course.....DUH

8. Originally posted by Master
    The man who wrote the book was Dean Takahashi. He wrote "Opening the Xbox".

Ah yes.. that's it. Thanks for the info. If anyone has Tech TV it'll probably be on again.. since they seem to repeat The Screen Saves 8 times a day.

Anyway, since they expected to lose money on hardware and didn't expect to make a profit at this point I guess the losses are not that big of a deal, unless they are actually much worse than anticipated or something.

The point is pretty much to lose money now, just to get Xbox into people's homes.. and once they are there to have convergence with downloadable content and whatnot and some other nonsense about owning your "portal". Basically they want to lose a lot of money now so they can make even more in the future.

9. I read that book.

Very informative.

10. Originally posted by sggg
    [...] The Screen Saves 8 times a day.
    Sounds like a computer soap opera.