Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting a video game system to Apple's HD Cinema Display Plasma thingy....

Connecting a video game system to Apple's HD Cinema Display Plasma thingy....

I need help. Hopefully someone is very skilled when it comes to video conversion devices...because I'm not.

I'm basically looking to hook up a Dreamcast, Gamecube, or Xbox to this screen-- http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23/ Most important is the Dreamcast and Gamecube.

Lhadatt helped me a bunch, basically telling me the structure will go like this: console -> vga box -> vga to dvi adapter -> dvi to adc adapter. Sounds simple enough. Yet, to get the highest video quality...which brands should I be looking at for the converters? Links would be really nice. I know I can very well do a google search to FIND the brand, but going to a companies website or to a online store is not the best unbiased info.

So...basically I am looking for the best

-Gamecube vga adapter
    -Dreamcast vga adapter
    -Xbox vga adapter
    -vga to dvi adapter (must be digital, right?)
    -dvi to adc adapter

Links would be nice. Brands would do just fine though.

Or, is there an easier way to get a system onto this screen? Thanks everyone I think it would be pretty sweet to be playing the new Zelda with my orange Gamecube on this sweet screen.

*edit* Oh, silly me, there are VGA to ADC adapters available...but they are very expensive....like http://www.dvigear.com/dvitoadccon.html

Argh. I am so confused. Someone find me a cheap way for this to work
    I took all your French Toast.

2. yes,
    Console to VGA to ADC to Cinema Display.

I'm not sure if you actually need the dvi adapter. This is the only way, as far as I know.

Lik-sang has all the VGA stuff. I think?
    http://www.lik-sang.com/default.php

As far as the VGA to ADC I would just check out some online computer retailers.

So, this all will really work if I go for it? I'm confused about which route I should trully try

Should it be...console-->vga to adc adapter-->apple screen.

Would that really work?

4. I'm not tottally sure Aurora, some guys on a Mac message board said to go this route so its not completely reliable. I would try it out and if it does'nt work just keep your receipt and bring or send the stuff back. That would be sweet though running your systems off a Cinema Display. Man, I wish I was rich.

Yeah, it would be pretty damn sweet. Especially the new Zelda...and Smash Bro...and a slew of Dreamcast games. It's worth a try. I'm gonna do some more research, and see what other people have to say. I appreciate the help so far.

6. Originally posted by Aurora
    Yeah, it would be pretty damn sweet. Especially the new Zelda...and Smash Bro...and a slew of Dreamcast games. It's worth a try. I'm gonna do some more research, and see what other people have to say. I appreciate the help so far.
    No problem, good luck.

How the shit did you afford to buy one of those monitors?

8. *cough*richparents*cough*

Since the DC is the only system that outputs true VGA, for the others you're better off getting RGB cables and an XRGB-2 upscan box (RGB -> XRGB-2 = high-quality VGA) for starting off your adapter chain. I've never even heard of the other formats or adapters you want to use, so I can't help you there.

9. Originally posted by OmegaFlareX
    *cough*richparents*cough*

Since the DC is the only system that outputs true VGA, for the others you're better off getting RGB cables and an XRGB-2 upscan box (RGB -> XRGB-2 = high-quality VGA) for starting off your adapter chain. I've never even heard of the other formats or adapters you want to use, so I can't help you there.
    Nope. The Cube and Xbox can both put out a progressive scan 33hz RGB signal (VGA). They just both need a hacked cable to do it. That Cube cable I linked to above is fantastic. Don't upscan what you don't have to. It will look needlessly blocky. Don't buy a $200 upscan converter where you don't have to, for that matter.