Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ys v remake for windows, ys vi announced

1. ys v remake for windows, ys vi announced

today when checking game watch i stumbled across this story simply because it had "falcom" in the title ...

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/...0030205/ys.htm

hasty inspection reveals that they're remaking ys v for PC, skipping over iii (i'll live) and iv (bastards!) ... i didn't like ys v on SFC, but maybe it'll be more interesting on PC.

i decided to go to falcom's news page to find out more info.

http://www.falcom.com/info/index.html

what i have discovered is that they are not talking about ys v there (dunno why) but have announced the development of ys vi! pretty shocking. they also have announced eiyuu densetsu vi (that's legend of heroes -- the same series "dragon slayer" for duo super CD-ROM^2 was for.)

anyway, hopefully more info will become revealed. i threw these things at fennec fox at gamepro because his japanese is great and i'm hoping he'll do a news story about to to save me the messing around with rikai. =)

2. Ys V isn't a remake, it's the same game as the SFC version that they're giving away with preorders for Moonlight Destiny.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

3. ahh. that makes sense. and eminently missable. hooray!
    i didn't feel like translating hardcore.

hopefully then, they'll continue apace with the "eternal" series, but i doubt it somehow, if they're moving on to VI.

4. Uh...rad? That's really cool, but why PC? Hey, do you need JWin to run a Japanese PC game?
    -Kyo

Cool, What's Moonlight Destiny?

Hmm is there a English section for online orders?

6. Originally posted by StriderKyo
    Uh...rad? That's really cool, but why PC? Hey, do you need JWin to run a Japanese PC game?
    For Jwin 95/98 games, you do.
    For Jwin 2k/XP games, you can just run them on 2k/XP as is. Although... I am not sure if you have to have the Japanese language pack installed first.

7. Originally posted by StriderKyo
    Uh...rad? That's really cool, but why PC? Hey, do you need JWin to run a Japanese PC game?
    A list of the JWin games I play in XP Pro:
    Eternal Fighter Zero
    Melty Blood
    Mamomo Hunter Mai
    AirRade
    ...and three or four Azumanga games.
    ...probably'd work fine.

8. Originally posted by StriderKyo
    because falcom is, and always has been, almost exclusively a publisher and developer of PC games.

except for some few SFC games -- ys v, brandish (v? i forget) they have neither made nor published console games. the popularized console versions of ys games were all reprogrammed and published by other developers and publishers.

all ys (i&ii, iii, iv) on turbografx/PCE were through hudson.
    ys iii and iv on SFC were through tonkinhouse.
    ys i-iii on famicom were through victor, as were the falcom classics comps on saturn.
    ys i & ii for PS2 is being published by digicube. i don't know who's converting it.

ys debuted on PC, remade on PC, so it only makes sense to continue it on PC. if you browse falcom's lineup you'll see that all of their gmaes are for windows.

9. a new dragon slayer?
    *faints*

10. Cool, What's Moonlight Destiny?

Hmm is there a English section for online orders?
    I believe Moonlight Destiny is a Taiwanese developed RPG that Falcom is localizing for the Japanese market. Falcom does accept overseas orders via email but be prepared to pay ~$120 per release after shipping costs.

because falcom is, and always has been, almost exclusively a publisher and developer of PC games.

except for some few SFC games -- ys v, brandish (v? i forget) they have neither made nor published console games. the popularized console versions of ys games were all reprogrammed and published by other developers and publishers.
    While, this is generally true, with the PC Engine, it was a different case. Falcom collaborated with Hudson Soft on their releases which is why they turned out so good. Titles like Ys IV and The Legend of Xanadu I-II are all PCE originals developed by Falcom that have never been seen on PC.

a new dragon slayer?
    No, a new Legend of Heroes. The Dragon Slayer series is a bit convoluted like the Wonder Boy series but not that extent. The Legend of Heroes I-II = Dragon Slayer VI-VII and The Legend of Xanadu I-II = Dragon Slayer VIII-IX. The Legend of Xanadu II was the last installment of the DS series.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)