Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox on a 16:9 TV

1. Xbox on a 16:9 TV

So I have my xbox hooked up to a 16:9 HDTV and have adjusted the settings in my xbox accordingly. When my TV detects a HD signal (i.e. 420P) it locks into 16:9 mode and will not let you switch to a different aspect ratio. So basically I have some really nice looking games, but most of them are stretched out because they don't support widescreen. It would seem the only way to watch my games normally is to not use 420P on the TV. Does anyone out there have a similar situation at home?? The TV is a samsung....(damn, no model number and too lazy to get manual out)

2. In the manuals for progressive scan games, they say that some tvs will lock into wide mode when you use progressive scan. The tv I use doesn't, its a Sony. Actually, when I play Tony Hawk 4 in 720p the screen goes into wide mode, but the game is widescreened anyways so there is no distortion. Anyways, that truely sucks, most games will turn the characters into fat midgets because they aren't supposed to be widescreened. If you plan to use the tv often and want your progressive scan, I'd get another tv.
    pwned by Ivan

3. Luckily, I don't own it. It is my girlfriend's and I use it often, that is good to know when I buy my own though, thanks.

4. I have the EXACT same problem.

I am currently working on a solution, but nothing has worked so far, execpt for biting the bullet and playing in 480i.

I CAN however post the list I am working on for which games work in widescreen though.

http://www.rpi.edu/~richem/WidescreenFAQ/widescreen.doc

Ignore the yellow highlights. Those are the games that I own and have confirmed that they work.

*I got a lot of help, and the basic template for everything from a home theatre message board, I'll link when I find it again*

5. That's one shitty problem. I guess the moral is to research like hell before committing to a particular HDTV.

6. The sad part is the only reason the samsung does that is firmware. if it had just been writen correctly to begin with, you would be fine.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

7. Yeah, I know. I'm working on figuring something out.

8. Is the moral of the story not to buy a 16:9 TV if it's primary use is games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

9. Originally posted by burgundy
    Is the moral of the story not to buy a 16:9 TV if it's primary use is games?
    Maybe.

If you're going to buy a 16:9 HDTV to use for games, make sure that the model you purchase does not lock a progressive scan signal to widescreen (i.e., "full" mode).

However...

Ask yourself the following (I've answered my own questions for comparison):

-What's more important to you, the size of a 4:3 image or the size of a 16:9 image? Are DVDs/movies a factor?

I have a 34" direct view 16:9 HDTV. 4:3 source material only uses 27" of that. I got the set with the intention of using it for movies (via HTPC). I have an early model set that locks a progressive signal to widescreen. And yes, that sucks for games due to the stretched-out look.

In hindsight, I'd have bought a projector for the HTPC, and a 36"-40" direct view set exclusively for game use.

I might still do that.

-Do you own any/a lot of games that support 16:9?

There are quite a few games that do support 16:9. I happen to own a bunch of them. However, most game developers are developing with 4:3 in mind. Things are slowly changing though, but don't expect a huge transition until the next console generation (if even then).

Still, it's a bullet point feature on the back of the box that the console manufacturers want to support to show that their system has an edge.

-Are your XBOX/GC/PS2 hooked up via component video?

Yes to all. After playing games in progressive scan (if supported), I don't see how I could go back. I had the same sentiment when I got my Dreamcast VGA box. If you're not using component video out for your current-gen consoles, a 16:9 HDTV set might not be worth it at all. Depending on the quality of the unit, normal composite/s-video might not look as good compared to a regular interlaced TV (this is of course, subjective to the viewer).

10. FYI and all: Do not play NBA Street Vol. 2 with the XBox's settings on 16:9. It will rearrange the bars and everything so that the screen appears to fit, but instead of giving a larger view of the court it instead zooms in the normal screen to fit the sides. Hence you're given a smaller viewing area as you lose the top and bottom of the screen. Not sure if any other games do this.