Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joys of Dreamcast VGA

The Joys of Dreamcast VGA

I finally tracked down a Performance VGA adaptor for my DC. I can now have my PC and my DC hooked up to the same monitor without any cable swapping. In fact, I even have my DC hooked up through my Klipsch Star Wars Limited Edition speaker set as well. With that combination, I can make the subwoofer shake my computer desk while I play some 640x480, crisp JGR goodness.

I wish I had gotten into DC VGA sooner, but doing it now has given my DC a second life. Now I need to reacquire a lot of the games I thought I was forever done with. The fact that I now essentially have three gaming rooms (pre-32-bit, 32-bit and newer, and the PC/DC) lets me partake of gaming bliss no matter what room the Mrs. is in. What a concept.

2. Didn't you have that option with two gaming rooms?

What kind of monitor do you have? I've always been reluctant to go VGA because I don't want to trade screen size for resolution.

That, and because my DC freaking died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

3. You haven't lived until you've played Ikaruga and Rez in VGA, with a kick-ass sound setup.

Utter bliss.

4. Originally posted by burgundy
    Didn't you have that option with two gaming rooms?
    Wives have the uncanny knack for being in two rooms at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

5. I still need to get a cheap monitor just for my DC.

6. it's a crime that the new systems aren't VGA-ready..

playing Halo on my 19-inch 15 year old panasonic is painful.. the DC spoiled me..
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

7. I need to get VGA adaptor for my DC one of these days. I looked on Ebay, and they had ton of them. Which one should I go with?

8. You want one that looks like this:

Well, maybe not that one, but one with an actual box at the end, not those cables that run rampant on eBay.

I have a BLAZE brand VGA myself, and it works wonders
    http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/NGE42/fullnxe/card.png

9. VGA really is awesome. PSO, Soul Calibur and Shenmue II in VGA were pretty incredible. 2D games don't like it at all, though - the DC has to reduce the resolution then double it to make it fit, so things look a little like lego land in some games (MotW!).

Shame you're only getting to it now that the DC's been surpassed graphically, so some of the impact has been lost. Hopefully, the next gen of systems will have true vga output.
    -Kyo

10. Originally posted by Despair
    I need to get VGA adaptor for my DC one of these days. I looked on Ebay, and they had ton of them. Which one should I go with?
    if anything, avoid BLAZE VGA..
    i've used one for a while, but then the connection started getting flaky on me, and you had to wiggle it a lot in its connection socket in order to not get a blue tint over the whole screen..
    so much so that i just eventually stopped using it and switched to this other one i have (HAIS i think it is)..

the ideal one is the performance VGA because it lets you switch between your DC and PC without having to plug/unplug the monitor cable.. very cool, but also very rare now and expensive.
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!