Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free-ware shmups (previously the mac controller thread)

1. Saturn Japan Free-ware shmups (previously the mac controller thread)

I've got a PowerBook G4, and I need to get a good controller for some shmupin'. Anyone know of a good controller for PC that's mac compatible? Or if there's just a good mac controller?

I'm clueless about PC gaming...

Also, what's the url of that shmup freeware site with cho ren sha an stuff on it?

2. Go to Radio Shack. $10 USB PS adapter. I use it for everything with an original Dual Shock. Works like a charm.

3. Everytime someone mentions that blasted PS adapter, I keep thinking of this...

+2 extra buttons on the back, I know you want it.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

4. Is the PS adapter compatible with a DS 2?

5. Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    Everytime someone mentions that blasted PS adapter, I keep thinking of this...

No thank you. I've used a lot of gamepads designed for Macs and PCs, and as much as I don't like the Dual Shock d-pad or... hell, a lot about the Dual Shock, it's still better. I had a PS pad ripoff called iShock which was just like it, only stiffer and less comfortable to use. Not to mention it was made out of a really slick plastic and not comfortable to hold at all.

Still better than the old Gravis PC Gamepad I used to play Jazz Jackrabbit with. That thing blew. But the reason for the ridiculous shape was so you could flip it over and it was lefthanded! That way it's uncomfortable for both right handed and lefthanded people! I think a black version of it came with some CDi units.

Anyway, as bad as the PS d-pad is, it's better than any of the MS Sidewinder pads. If I do an Xbox controller USB cable mod, though, I'd love to use a Controller S. It'd be nice if I could find another "Japanese style" one here, though. The buttons seemed to respond without that extra hard push.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall
    Is the PS adapter compatible with a DS 2?
    Just tried it out. Works like a charm.

6. Thanks, I think I'll just pick that up for the $10.

Now about that link...?

7. The PC Magic Box - http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/PC-MGC01.html

Allows you to use Saturn, PS1/2, and Dreamcast controllers. It comes with a driver floppy with an .inf file. I have no idea if it's compatable with Mac. You might also be able to set it up as a standard <x amount>-button joystick, since it's USB.

EDIT: The Nippon Shootemup site has been down for a while. They're still looking for a new host. The URL is http://www.emudek.org/shootemup/

If you want ChoRenSha 68k, IM me and I can zip it up and transfer it over.

8. I have some generic gamepad drivers for OS X that will probably work with anything you use, and if not, then USB Overdrive would. But what are these shooters you guys are talking about? I don't know of this ChoRenSha.

9. ChoRenSha-68K
    It's a vertical scroller with a very simple design, minimal spite kookiness, and the backgrounds just repeat the whole time; but the game plays like a dream.

I'm just gonna' change the thread title to free-ware shmups to get some other people who could give lots of info on these a chance to lend the shmuping-helping-hand

On that note, anyone know anything about how far along KETM (Kill Everything That Moves) is in development? Studio Grey (<--Link) hasn't updated in quite a while... The guy who started SG was in a grind band called Discordance Axis, and they always had awesome design work. (especially The Inalienable Dreamless) He's handling the art and animations, so I'm really interested in this game.

Check the link and read about the game. You don't ever 'fight' bosses - You just have to survive them...

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall
    Is the PS adapter compatible with a DS 2?

You CAN use a dual shock 2 controller, but the buttons aren't analog, only the sticks are.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.