Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics: do you read them?

1. Comics: do you read them?

I've been reading comics for about 6 months now, after having gone almost 5 years without touching anything but the occasional Green Lantern.

I'm now reading:

Transformers G1
    Transformers: TWW
    Green Lantern
    The Flash
    Soldier X
    Thundercats
    GI Joe
    and GI Joe: Frontline

I also picked up the first issue of Invincible yesterday, and I liked it quite a bit.

I've got a few questions though:

I saw....X-Treme X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, Exiles, and X-Statix. What the hell is all that about? How many X-Men universes are there now?

Whats up with the trend of 18 page comics, with 12 pages of ads in the back? When I used t read them, there were at least 23-26 pages, and they filled the whole book, with another 6-7 pages of ads interspersed.

2. Transformers G1
    Transformers: Armada
    Blade of the immortal
    and anything Vasques or Strasynski

3. I haven't read a comic in about a year or so. They're fun to pick up if I've got a buck or two burning a hole in my pocket.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

4. Re: Comics: do you read them?

Originally posted by NotJigen
    I've been reading comics for about 6 months now, after having gone almost 5 years without touching anything but the occasional Green Lantern.

I'm now reading:

Transformers G1
    Green Lantern
    The Flash
    Soldier X
    Thundercats
    GI Joe
    and GI Joe: Frontline

I also picked up the first issue of Invincible yesterday, and I liked it quite a bit.

I've got a few questions though:

I saw....X-Treme X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, Exiles, and X-Statix. What the hell is all that about? How many X-Men universes are there now?

Whats up with the trend of 18 page comics, with 12 pages of ads in the back? When I used t read them, there were at least 23-26 pages, and they filled the whole book, with another 6-7 pages of ads interspersed.
    Ultimate X-Men takes place in the Ultimate universe. Sounds stupid, but let me explain. The Ultimate universe was created as a means of attracting new fans to old properties without having to worry about 40 years of continuity. They work from the perspective of "What if we had just created the marvel universe today?" They use the general template of the regular MU characters and turn it on its ear with a modern day spin.

X-Treme X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, and X-Statix all take place in current continuity. X-Treme X-Men is a splinter group, composed of Storm, Bishop, Rogue, Gambit, Sage(Tessa), and Thunderbird 3. The initially were on a journey to find Destiny's 13 Journals that she had written transcribing the future. Now that they've gotten all of them, they are now finding a new purpose outside of the mansion. New X-Men details the adventures of the team at the mansion, consisting of Xavier, Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, the White Queen, Beast, and Xorn. They are all teachers at the mansion, educating the next generation of mutants. That's not all of it, but lets just say I could go on for awhile describing the book. One of my highest recommendations. Uncanny X-men has just recently gotten a new writer, so his general direction is unknown for the time being. The team consists of Iceman, Nightcrawler, Angel, soon to be havok, Juggernaut (no joke), Husk, Northstar, and occasionally Wolverine. X-Statix is what X-Force has become. But it has absolutely no ties to any previous incarnation of the team, and is completely different. The team is made up of mutants who use their powers as a means to get rich. They are a bunch of media darlings who only do missions for money. I don't read it, so that's about all i can tell you.

Exiles is a Quantum Leap style book. It takes characters from alternate realities and sends them reality hopping to fix different timelines. They are sent on these missions because each one of them were about to die in their respective world. The catch to being sent is that once their mission is complete, they will be returned to their world and survive. The characters you see are not the modern versions, but the same character except from a different world where normal events turned out differently. The only "character" (in terms of personality) you'll recognize are Blink and Sabretooth from the Age of Apocalypse. An example of someone who is different, Mimic in the normal MU was a villain who eventually comitted suicide and was later brought back to life. In Exiles, he was at first a criminal who was offered a second chance from Xavier and joined the X-Men. He eventually became leader and achieved Xavier's dream of peaceful coexistence between man and mutant. It is definitely highly recommended. There are two trades, with a third one about to be released.

Hope that helps.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

5. Re: Re: Comics: do you read them?

Originally posted by Lordmrw
    Exiles is a Quantum Leap style book. It takes characters from alternate realities and sends them reality hopping to fix different timelines. They are sent on these missions because each one of them were about to die in their respective world. The catch to being sent is that once their mission is complete, they will be returned to their world and survive. The characters you see are not the modern versions, but the same character except from a different world where normal events turned out differently. The only "character" (in terms of personality) you'll recognize are Blink and Sabretooth from the Age of Apocalypse. An example of someone who is different, Mimic in the normal MU was a villain who eventually comitted suicide and was later brought back to life. In Exiles, he was at first a criminal who was offered a second chance from Xavier and joined the X-Men. He eventually became leader and achieved Xavier's dream of peaceful coexistence between man and mutant. It is definitely highly recommended. There are two trades, with a third one about to be released.

Hope that helps.
    So its like "What if...they got to save their own asses"? Sounds pretty interesting.

Is Xorn the robot that was on the cover of New Xmen? How does Mutant=Robot?

6. That is actually a helmet. He has a miniature sun for a brain, and if it weren't for that helmet, he would destroy the planet. You can read all about him in last year's New X-men annual (the one done in Marvel vision) and New X-Men #127.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

7. These comic universes have gotten so damned convaluted it's not even funny. What we need is a comic done in real time so that you can evolve with the times without screwing up the continuity.

8. I used to read comics all the time as a kid. I still read them from time to time, but there's nothing I regulary collect anymore (aside from Manga). Years ago I used to pick up G.I. Joe, The Transformers, Spiderman, Alpha Flight, all sorts of books. The whole Spider-clone thing kinda helped to kill comics for me, though.

I collected Preacher, but that series ended. I like to pick up the Punisher issues that Dillion and Ennis do, and I still go to the comic shop on a regular basis and sometimes pick up things that interest me. Anything Travis Charest draws, I'll buy. I collected Wildcats when he was drawing it, and I'm awaiting his Metabaron book.

ShineAqua made a point when he said that comics have goten too dam convoluted nowadays. If things were a tad easier to follow as opposed to each book having 40,000 spin-offs and alternate reality storylines and all that bullshit, I would probably start reading Spiderman and a few others again if things weren't so damn goofy in that respect. Comic book writing just ain't what it used to be.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. I agree about their being too many off-shoots. One or two A YEAR is fine. But not every week. For one thing, it's not economically sound to expect people to buy about four comics for just one character, or set of characters, for that matter. Also, having off-shoots out there every week kills the importance of them. They used to have meaning, now they've become overexposed.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. While the Ultimate Universe may be a modern version of the characters without the continuity baggage, the writers seem to like reusing some of that baggage in their new stories.

As far as continuity preventing readers from joining in, that could be a problem in less than a year from a books launch these days. If a writer does his/her job right, the baggage shouldn't enter into it. Sure, they might drag up a villian that hasn't shown up for 12 years, but as long as the issue the reader is flipping through doesn't require them to go hunt down a copy of that villain's last appearance, it shouldn't matter. The writer should tell the reader anything they need to know to enjoy the story on its own. I hear a lot of bitching about continuity, but I'd like some examples of why a new reader can't enjoy a Spider-Man story today because of continutity. Is it a matter of wanting to know the whole story all the time, or something else? I'm not attacking anyone; I just seriously want some examples. I've been into comics for over 20 years now (I started young), so I have difficulty coming at things from the perspective of a new reader. I'd like to write in the industry at some point in my life, and be able to attract new readers, but if I don't have a grasp on what keeps them away (other than price and the general stigma attached to comics), I won't be very successful.

As to comics I read:
    Bone (almost done. 5 issues to go!)
    Liberty Meadows
    About half of the Crossgen line
    Hellboy
    Shonen Jump (best comic bang for buck)
    Avengers
    Capt. Marvel
    Batman (Jim Lee run only)
    Rising Stars
    WildC.A.T.s 3.0
    StormWatch: Team Achiles
    Transformers G1, TWW, Armada
    Astro City

I'm probably forgetting something. I just dropped Iron Man and Wolverine, and I might cut back on the Crossgen stuff and just catch it on the web (www.comicsontheweb.com) for much cheaper.

I highly suggest WildCats 3.0 and StormWatch:TA. There is a little baggage to WildCats, but not enough to keep you from enjoying the series. You wouldn't recognize anyone except Grifter from the original series anyway (the rest of the cast is new or veeeery different). Stormwatch is an interesting look at how you keep super-powered freaks under control when you have no powers yourself. Watching a crack team of military commandos take out the Authority has been a hoot. Oh, if you can find back issues of "Highroads" from Wildstorm Ent./DC, it's a great self-contained story from Lenil Francis Yu (former Wolvie penciler) and Scott Lobdell.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.