Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jackie Chan is: The Protector

1. Originally posted by ssbomberman
    See this was called Island of Fire in HK and was basically a payback film by Sammo, Jackie, Leung Kai Fai, Andrew Lau for known triad and film star Jimmy Wang Yu--during that time the triads ruled everything in HK, but Jackie and and other stars were very against triad involvement in films, so I'm not sure why he really did the film, unless he was doing payback for something early in his career...or maybe to help Jimmy avoid trouble...

Anyway, this film isn't that bad...I posted on another board (kfc cinema one) that you should enjoy for what it is, not for what it isn't)...it has a couple nice Chan fights and takes elements from a number of famous U.S. films...and has a lot of big name stars...

Incidentally, the U.S. one sells it as a Chan film, but the HK version featured the whole group of stars prominently on the cover...
    Ssbomberman, got to say this, before me

I also think Island on Fire is not a bad film. Its US presentation is terrible though, and as usual they tried to capitalize on the big name, in this case Chan's, even though he is only has a cameo appearance. Its more of the serious film, and I thought the ending was pretty sad.

Spoiler **********************

Its one of the few films, where Jackie die. Another one being Countdown to Kungfu directed by John Woo.

2. Anyone here read Jackie's Biography? I'm pretty sure he had hellp writting it. It was around 400 pages I think and goes up to the point where he is going to go film Shanghai Noon. It was a great read.

3. ...

Originally posted by Rumpy
    Anyone here read Jackie's Biography? I'm pretty sure he had hellp writting it. It was around 400 pages I think and goes up to the point where he is going to go film Shanghai Noon. It was a great read.
    Yeah, Jeff Yang basically wrote this book using Chan's words. Yang is a good writer -- he founded A. Magazine and also wrote the decent book Eastern Standard Time (kind of outdated now).

This is a great book--my roommate in college barfed on my hardcover version--I still have it...