Thread: Webmasters... I could use a bit of help

1. Webmasters... I could use a bit of help

Ok, I haven't really worked on a web page for a few years now and I'm going to get back into it, all profesional like. One of my buds from high school is in a band and they're good. Now he's asking me to start up a site for them and I'll all bout it.

I know how to register a domain name but what I need to know it how to get ahold of some server space, not too much just enough for some MP3's, pics, a few pages and possibly more in the future (and maybe a small board). Any kind of help you guys can give will be a great assistance to me.

Also, all I really have to work with right now is MS Frontpage '97, what do you recomend I get to step into this century?

Thanx,
    -Gigas
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

2. I use www.cqhost for all the sites I host, or create for my clients. I've never had a problem with there serivce, and they have great prices on the various packages they offer.

As far as what app you should use, FP97 would be fine if thats what your comfortable with. It doesn't have some of the newer standards implemented, but you should be okay. If it doesnt look like its cutting it for you, upgrade to 2000.

If not check out Macromedia Dreamweaver, or Homesite.

I dont use any WYSIWIG's (I do all my code by hand), but from what I've read those are the top two.

3. I use www.myhosting.com for sites that I work on. They've got some pretty good deals for around $10/month.

I just picked up Dreamweaver and it's great for managing sites. The Template feature makes it easy to apply changes over the entire site without having to edit each HTML file individually, and has a lot of powerful features built in like easy image flips, tables, etc. Integrated FTP software too. And it doesn't produce a lot of bulky code as I've seen in FrontPage and PageMill. I still tend to design sites in split screen mode, though, as I do like to edit the HTML by hand most of the time.

-Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

4. Originally posted by K3V
    ...And it doesn't produce a lot of bulky code as I've seen in FrontPage and PageMill...
    Any extra code is bad code imo...

5. http://kthxbye.iidx.net
    Theres all my handywork, with help from a few friends. I used Coffeecup HTML editor for it so its mostly raw outside of the random image script for the top.

As for server, GD-Kun.net is REALLY fast and it never goes down...like...ever oO I'll ask GD-Kun what we're hosted on when he gets online. Knowing him, its probobly cheap
    Play Guitar Hero //