Page 1 of 16 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Zone of the Enders 2 - Official

1. Zone of the Enders 2 - Official

The original ZoE seemed like a classic big-budget-but-ultimately-empty playstation game, your typical graphics n' cutscenes-fest. As such, I was only too happy to ignore it.

But now I'm rethinking that position. I had zero interest in ZoE 2 3 days ago, but after playing the OPM demo this month, I'm sold. I could totally go for a whole game like that.

The fighting seems a little shallow, but the game is certainly faster and more intuitive than something like VOOT. And the cinemas are remarkably well done. The music is grand, the graphics are some of the best I've seen, even if they are a little sparse. Either way, I'm totally pumped can't wait until this comes out. The Gradius game sounds pretty awesome too - I can't wait to see how they do the powerups in PS2 quality 3D.

Btw - has anybody seen the anime? Is it tied into the games at all? Is it any good?
    -Kyo

2. I still need to buy the anime. And yeah I'm really anticipating Z.O.E 2 too, I mostly bought the demo because of it, Tenchu sealed the deal. It will be a standalone game this time without MGS2 so it will be interesting to see the sales. The Gradius thing has me amped too I'll be cool as hell to see how they will pull it off, a great nod to the series.

The fighting always stays fresh though IMO, at least in Z.O.E. You will probably get more weapons to kick ass with in part 2 like in the original, the boss fights should totally be awesome as well coming from the demo. Are there any pre-orders with bonus swag going on right now, because I'd definitely pre-order one if so.

3. I tried the demo.... and let's just say I need to give it another chance. I never played the first game so I was totally overwhelmingly lost and i didn't have fun.

I was pretty interested in the game and it was the main reason I bought the stupid magazine it came with.... But if anything playing the demo may have soured me.... but I am definitely going to give it a few more chances so I can judge it more fairly.

I will say that I don't agree that it is more intuitive than VOOT. When I picked up VOOT last year (my first ever Virtual On experience) it didn't take me long at all before I got the hang of it - even lacking dual-sticks. VOOT is pretty easy on n00bs because of the various options you can tweak while you learn.

With ZOE2 I was completely overwhelmed and lost. That could be because it was the demo or it could be that I didn't play the first game though.... I also was a bit disappointed in the graphics. Everything seemed so hazy and blurry.. it looked like a mess. But again these are just my initial impressions. I am going to try again and have patience and see if I can figure it out. I really hope it clicks with me but I must say that my initial experience was less than favourable.

I will agree that the cinemas were pretty well done and that the Gradius thing is very cool.

4. Re: Zone of the Enders 2 - Official

Originally posted by StriderKyo
    The fighting seems a little shallow, but the game is certainly faster and more intuitive than something like VOOT. And the cinemas are remarkably well done. The music is grand, the graphics are some of the best I've seen, even if they are a little sparse. Either way, I'm totally pumped can't wait until this comes out. The Gradius game sounds pretty awesome too - I can't wait to see how they do the powerups in PS2 quality 3D.
    VOOT slow? Where?

Anubis is still as flawed as the original. Let me explain, ZOE tries to be two games simultaneously, a shooter and a 3D melee combat game. This is not to say that these two game mechanics are incompatible with one another merely that, in ZOE at least, there is no synergy between the two. This is highlighted by Jehuty's rather cumbersome control when it comes to closing the distance on a foe. Admittedly the 3D melee combat and long range boosting are intuitively handled, but the segway between the two is hammy at best. Yoji Shinkawa's design work is spot on though, it really is.

Btw - has anybody seen the anime? Is it tied into the games at all? Is it any good?
    Yes, to the former. No, to the latter.

5. Re: Re: Zone of the Enders 2 - Official

Originally posted by Cacophanus
    VOOT slow? Where?
    There's a big difference between saying "ZOE2 is faster than VOOT" and "VOOT is slow". Please, pay attention.

6. VOOT slow? Where?
    He didn't say VOOT was slow, he only said ZOE2 was faster. Which it is in close quarters.

I disagree to a point with your comment about ZOE trying to be two things. In my eyes it's primarily focused on the close-range combat; the long-range aspects are more for breaking the enemies apart for better close-range combat and so that Jehuty isn't completely defenseless from a distance.

That said, I think my favorite part in the demo was figuring out I could grab other frames, bash them into each other to destroy them, and then toss the damaged "weapon" into a group of other frames to blow them all up. Beautiful stuff.

7. Originally posted by sggg
    I will say that I don't agree that it is more intuitive than VOOT. When I picked up VOOT last year (my first ever Virtual On experience) it didn't take me long at all before I got the hang of it - even lacking dual-sticks. VOOT is pretty easy on n00bs because of the various options you can tweak while you learn.
    Yeah, but in ZoE you can actually move wherever you want. VOOT you spend most of the time moving at 90 degree angles, and it's pretty tough to close in on a foe.

With ZOE2 I was completely overwhelmed and lost. That could be because it was the demo or it could be that I didn't play the first game though....
    I never really played the first one either, but I found it pretty easy. Move with the left stick, dash with L2, and shoot with square. L2+square = multi-laser attack. Square when close is your sword. You're basically using 2 buttons for most of the demo. You can use L1 to block, and X and triangle to move up and down, but I never really needed to.

I also was a bit disappointed in the graphics. Everything seemed so hazy and blurry.. it looked like a mess.
    Uh, are we looking at the same game? I thought the designs looked awesome. It's no blurrier than everything else on PS2, heh.

I will agree that the cinemas were pretty well done and that the Gradius thing is very cool.
    Definitely.

Originally posted by Cacophanus
    VOOT slow? Where?
    I didn't say it was slow, just not as fast as ZoE

Anubis is still as flawed as the original. Let me explain, ZOE tries to be two games simultaneously, a shooter and a 3D melee combat game. This is not to say that these two game mechanics are incompatible with one another merely that, in ZOE at least, there is no synergy between the two. This is highlighted by Jehuty's rather cumbersome control when it comes to closing the distance on a foe. Admittedly the 3D melee combat and long range boosting are intuitively handled, but the segway between the two is hammy at best. Yoji Shinkawa's design work is spot on though, it really is.
    Hmmm...interesting point, although I didn't get that impression from the demo. I thought they did a good job of keeping the mechanics fluid the whole way. Of course, I used the sword to kick the crap out of the mosquitos alot of the time, and the bigger enemies like the raptors I fought very much like I did the bosses.

One thing I wish though, is that you could use manouvering to get around the bosses' defenses, Shinobi style, rather than them having a catch-all shield. It would have added a bit of depth to the strategy, since the mechs would always be trying to keep the other in front of them.

Yes, to the former. No, to the latter.
    Does it continue the story, or just use the same characters?

Originally posted by MechDeus

That said, I think my favorite part in the demo was figuring out I could grab other frames, bash them into each other to destroy them, and then toss the damaged "weapon" into a group of other frames to blow them all up. Beautiful stuff.
    Really? I missed that. Kickass.
    -Kyo

8. Can people please stop being aesthetic whores and look at the game in this case. Anubis is a pastiche of a mecha game, not one in its own right.

I should know, I have been bloody testing the awful thing for the past month.

Originally posted by diffusionx
    There's a big difference between saying "ZOE2 is faster than VOOT" and "VOOT is slow".
    No, in saying Anubis is fast and then comparing it to VOOT, as a benchmark, quite clearly alludes to an accusation that VOOT is somehow deficient. Which, to anyone that has actually played VOOT, would realise is demonstrably false. Drive through.

Originally posted by MechDeus
    He didn't say VOOT was slow, he only said ZOE2 was faster. Which it is in close quarters.
    That is where you are wrong. Ever heard of shinku?

I disagree to a point with your comment about ZOE trying to be two things. In my eyes it's primarily focused on the close-range combat; the long-range aspects are more for breaking the enemies apart for better close-range combat and so that Jehuty isn't completely defenseless from a distance.
    In that case, my point holds even more weight. Viewing the long range combat as an adjunct to the melee shows how limply the developers have implemented the former.

Originally posted by StriderKyo
    Yeah, but in ZoE you can actually move wherever you want. VOOT you spend most of the time moving at 90 degree angles, and it's pretty tough to close in on a foe.
    ...showing that you have not played VOOT properly.

Hmmm...interesting point, although I didn't get that impression from the demo. I thought they did a good job of keeping the mechanics fluid the whole way. Of course, I used the sword to kick the crap out of the mosquitos alot of the time, and the bigger enemies like the raptors I fought very much like I did the bosses.
    Realise that game mechanic fluidity is not the same thing as fluid physical movement. Jehuty moves fluidly but the segway between the two mechanics is cackhanded, for the reasons I have already stated.

Does it continue the story, or just use the same characters?
    It is a new story, but set after the series.

9. I'm one of the few people here, who actually enjoyed the original ZOE, all the flaws like shortness and whiny Hero aside. And I was always looking forwarf part 2. And after playing and watching DJ play the demo, we were sold for sure

Originally posted by sggg
    Well, I will have to disagree here. For me, ZOE controls fell much more responsive and intuitive than VOOTs, and same can be said for the combat and moves.

With ZOE2 I was completely overwhelmed and lost. That could be because it was the demo or it could be that I didn't play the first game though.... I also was a bit disappointed in the graphics. Everything seemed so hazy and blurry.. it looked like a mess. But again these are just my initial impressions. I am going to try again and have patience and see if I can figure it out. I really hope it clicks with me but I must say that my initial experience was less than favourable.
    What are you talking about? One of the best graphical display on PS2 yet, and you say its blurry and not impressive? Maybe something wrong with your tv? Because it looked wonderfull on ours.

It might be a little harder to pick up and play ZOE2 right away, since you do need to get used to controls a bit, but its nothing too complicated.

10. Cacophanus, Please forgive us for disagreeing with you. We won't let it happen again.

JM