Thread: Real Bout High School manga #5

1. Real Bout High School manga #5

Anyone read this yet? I figure Tokyopop released it early since the cover art's at Animenation.com. I'll see if I can pick it up soon, provided Suncoast has it.

Just curious to see if anyone has it already.

2. It's out and my suitemate has it.

He tells me that the story is really starting to get good, but since the only RBHS experience I've had thus far is the TV series (which is complete and utter crap), I'm a little gun shy at trying the manga...

3. Has RBHS improved much? The first volume was honestly one of the worst manga I've ever read. It had a good set up, but was filled with characters randomly entering and leaving and poorly done fights.

4. Originally posted by CynicalSphere
    It's out and my suitemate has it.

He tells me that the story is really starting to get good, but since the only RBHS experience I've had thus far is the TV series (which is complete and utter crap), I'm a little gun shy at trying the manga...
    Try it. It's far different than the crapass anime (check out volume 4 of the manga and compare). No magic references, no alternate world, none of that excess cutesy bullshit that Gonzo cooked up.

Has RBHS improved much? The first volume was honestly one of the worst manga I've ever read. It had a good set up, but was filled with characters randomly entering and leaving and poorly done fights.
    I have yet to read the first volume, but so far things are looking good. The story has more depth to it and the fight scenes are good, especially when Ryoko cuts down some thugs to save a kidnapped colleague.

5. Pro tip: Go to Barnes & Noble and act like your going to buy sometnhing. Then get the book, sit at the comfy chair and read away. Then leave the store and dont buy the book! Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

*ahem*

Anyway this tactic works for me scince im so poor

Those looking to actualy buy the comic are in for something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS

6. Picked this up yesterday, and wow. This just keeps getting better and better. The fights in this one are intense, and the artwork is top-notch.

I can easily say now, if you're still skeptical about reading this because of the shitty anime version, check it out ASAP. I wish some other studio funded an anime version of this storyline, because Gonzo dropped the ball big-time.

7. yess... another has seen the light. I'll admit that volume 1, 2 & 3 were just nice, good and good; but volume 4 was pretty damn great. I'm genuinely impressed by these books, much better than average. Not as good as Akira but its up there, that's saying alot. I've only read vol 1 of Love Hina and I like this much much better, don't see how others can cork over that but skip this...

Seriously, vol 4 fight between Shizuma and that hair job guy was one of the best fights I've ever read in a manga. Couldn't wait to get my hands on vol 5 ever since.

Love this series greatly, hope others can enjoy it too. I like GTO manga too, anybody else reading that?

Oh yeah, shame about the anime series. It shined the best when they were just comical high school students with super powers a-la Ranma1/2 (the cooking fight), shame the anime didn't really play to that strength.

8. Seems no. 5 just recently hit Japan, which may explain the long wait.

The next (and presumably final) volume looks slated for 4/15, according to this.

Possible cover:

Can't wait.

9. ah.. I kinda had a feeling like this was going on. I'm guessing that Real Bout is a relatively new series manga wise, started in 2000 or so. Not like Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop, GTO, Peach girl etc..

I'm guessing that's why it hasn't hit vol 8, 9, 10 like some of the others...either that or I'm in denial about TokyoPop giving the short end of the stick to this manga while all the others get tons of volumes...

I hope it doesn't end at 6!! T_T
    such good fights... the author's really good at buildup. In the first volumes I thought things just couldn't get any more serious or dangerous. When those characters like G in volume 4 started showing up I genuinely felt scared for Ryoko and crew, and again thought things couldn't get anymore serious or dangerous. I'm pretty sure this author could keep upping the tension like that for volumes to come, so I'm sad to hear that the next one might be the last.