Thread: The Fallen Angel

1. The Fallen Angel

Here it is...

Acrylic on a 24x24" canvas...

It was only my second attempt with acrylics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angel.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	143  

2. First off...it's better than I can do with acrylics. Probably better than I can do with any traditional medium.

That being said, more lighting.

It's dark right? Torment, pain? You need some good overhead lighting, some harsh shadows on the face and wings.

Definately too much white space. It makes it look unfinished. The shirt should have none, the wings are going to be fairly light/white no matter what so you'd have to eat up the white space somewhere else...my first instinct is the shirt.

The background is cool, definately like the color and concept.

Maybe a little more detail on the wings.

But very good.

(by the way, I don't know how it works at tnl.com, if people actually want critiques or not, so don't be offended if people don't usually criticize work...that's just how I'm used to working with other artists. Critiques are exceptionally brutal and critical.)

3. Originally posted by Blaine
    First off...it's better than I can do with acrylics. Probably better than I can do with any traditional medium.

It's dark right? Torment, pain? You need some good overhead lighting, some harsh shadows on the face and wings.

Definately too much white space. It makes it look unfinished. The shirt should have none, the wings are going to be fairly light/white no matter what so you'd have to eat up the white space somewhere else...my first instinct is the shirt.

But very good.

(by the way, I don't know how it works at tnl.com, if people actually want critiques or not, so don't be offended if people don't usually criticize work...that's just how I'm used to working with other artists. Critiques are exceptionally brutal and critical.)
    Don't be, it's how people get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Originally posted by Andrew
    Don't be, it's how people get better.
    I'd only feel bad if he took offense. The only reason that is because I don't know what the norm is in this circle.

The 'world' I'm used to, critiques usually sound like:

"Hey, you know what would make that better? Alright, try slitting both of your wrists open and bleed on it for a good hour, hour and a half. Kill two birds with one stone."

Or for people who are a little more professional

"Burn it".

I'm just not sure what the atmosphere here is "supposed" to be like.

5. I'm not sure, but I'm open to critiques on my stuff. I usually post character sketches so it's nothing serious like layouts or paintings or pastel pieces I do or something.

I do feel that the angels face needs alittle more work and the figure itself isn't convincing. It looks more like a marionette hanging lifeless from strands, which is incredibly artistic how it is. As for the angel motife. I don't know how you could make it 'better' but you definitely have a contorted style. Art Nouveau or Deco. (The one that's organic, I'm pretty sure it's Nouvea) You should check it out, you may find something you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. The feathers rock. It's pretty good for only your second attempt. You're only gonna get better at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

7. Anyone who can use a wet medium deserves my respect

I do think the piece has too much of a 'cartoony' feel to it though. Too delineated, too much line, not enough tone and form and light and shadow.

8. First off...it's better than I can do with acrylics. Probably better than I can do with any traditional medium.

But very good.

Critiquing is completely fine, and I agree on pretty much everything you said... Although even I don't know if I was necessarily looking for a theme of "darkness" and "torment"... I originally had the eyes and mouth white but my teacher thought i should make them black to make it seem empty... but it definitely could use more dark/light contrast, with much more dark than light

I do think the piece has too much of a 'cartoony' feel to it though. Too delineated, too much line, not enough tone and form and light and shadow.
    can't argue with that one... I totally agree... I think the face is too long with too much space between the eyes, nose and mouth. I would have changed it if i wasn't under time contraints (it was my final project in Painting I so i didn't have that much time)

9. I think it could use a little more tonal variation, it seems kinda flat to me. I like the feel of the colors, reminds me of late renoscience and early Baroque work. Also the composition and subject are both well done you get a sorta sinking agony feeling by looking at it, with the minor exception being the wing and arms. They both look like they're being cut off, a compositional no-no when not done intionally.
    Other than that you need to borrow a tripod or copy stand when taking pics of your work, the carpet is kinda distracting.