Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Generic Anime Thread!!!!111

1. The Generic Anime Thread!!!!111

Simple thread about anime!!

For a long time, I've been fairly anime free. I'd like to get back into it now though, and what better way than through a topic as vague as this?!?!?

from 1995-2000, I used to watch it all the time. I stopped when they stopped releasing good stuff over here. Since then, I've seen the occasional anime on DVD, but mainly older stuff I already had seen, such as the Eva series.

Answer these questions, mofo's!

1) What have you been watching?
    2) What are your favorite anime?

1) I've been watching Excel Saga. God damn, its great. I love how nonsensical it is in that awesome, Japanese style. I also hired Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which was pretty good. It had great visuals, but the story was kinda lame.

2) Hard to say, but my favorite anime are probably:

Akira with the original, terrible dub - I know the old dub is fucking awful, but its a nostalgic thing. Flawless animation, great action and an amazing soundtrack all add up to a great experience.

Evangelion - as mainstream as it gets, but its got a perfect blend of story and action. Great designs alround, and I've never felt so connected to anime characters than in this.

Battle Angle Alita/Gunnm - It oozes visual style and has some great fight scenes. Barring old cartoons, this was the first real anime I ever saw.

Robot Carnival - A collection of short movies put together by the leaders of Japanese animation. Some of them are touching, some of them are scary, while others are plain hillarious. My favorites are Nightmare, Cloud, and Frankens gears.

Oh, one more thing, Do any of you's remember how the old Manga video releases had an intro at the start of every anime they released which showed a montage of various anime? There was a hardcore one and a less violent one? Do any of you have any idea where to download these? Since the rise of DVD's, this intro has vanished, and its just a matter of time before my VHS's die from over-use...

2. Re: The Generic Anime Thread!!!!111

Originally posted by arjue

]

1. Naruto, Wolf's Rain, GitS: SAC, Gigantor

2. Grave of the Fireflies, Berserk, Trigun, Naruto, Gunnm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

3. Well, Its been a while since I watched some Anime, but recently I got Samurai Deeper Kyo, Scryed, Witch Hunter Robin and FCLC sets, so I will watch them, when they arrive, or I have free time. I also watched 1st episode of Wolf's Rain, and I liked it alot.

My faves would be: Cowboy Bebop + Movie, Kenshin OVAs, Ninja Scroll, Cyber City OEDO, Vampire Hunter D + Bloodlust, Hellsing, Berserk and many other ones.

Pretty much my choices are more of darker, action and horror Anime, and less of comedy, mech or super deformed sillyness

Originally posted by Despair
    super deformed sillyness
    ...and I hear Link is a homosexual.

5. Re: The Generic Anime Thread!!!!111

Battle Angle Alita/Gunnm
    Robot Carnival
    I knew you weren't from the US when you used the word "hired" instead of "rented." I like "hired," I think I'm going to start using that In Australia, do anime companies bring in the US dubs or do their own? I have no idea how Austraila anime sales and stuff is done.

I just recently saw Battle Angel - hell of a show! I want a DVD release. I also watched Robot Carnival because someone on these boards was raving about it - another great classic that needs a new UD DVD release.

(1) I've been watching His and Her Circumstances, Berserk, Hellsing, Betterman, and GTO.

(2) Favorites are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nadesico, Cowboy Bebop, Now and Then Here and There, Sakura Diaries, GoldenBoy, GTO, The Big O, Getter Robo Armageddon, Kiki's Delivery Service, Mermaid Forest, and many others ^_^

- Kabuki

6. 1. I've been watching InuYasha, and Lupin 3rd.

2. My favorites are InuYasha, Record Of Lodoss War, Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, and Akira,

7. There sure is alot of generic stuff out there. If you want a breather from the sub-par (outside of the good ones you allready listed), I suggest FLCL, His and Her Circumstances, anything Ghibli, Urusei Yatsura 2, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, and Wings of Honneamise. Robot Carnival, Giant Robo, Memories, and Gunbuster really need to get released over here on dvd
    I agree with you about VHD Bloodlust, it's visually stunning, but the plot drags later on.
    pwned by Ivan

8. Re: The Generic Anime Thread!!!!111

Robot Carnival - A collection of short movies put together by the leaders of Japanese animation. Some of them are touching, some of them are scary, while others are plain hillarious. My favorites are Nightmare, Cloud, and Frankens gears.
    THANK YOU

... I've been wondering what the name of this thing was for a while now, but I could never pin a name on it. I watched it multiple times during the Sci-Fi channel Saturday Anime...

Now i'll have to go find it... that Cloud short was mesmerizing

9. 1. A little Trigun, Inu-Yasha, Betterman.

2. Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Macross Plus.
    Freedom is a road seldom travelled by the multitude...

10. Re: Re: The Generic Anime Thread!!!!111

Originally posted by FirstBlood
    I watched it multiple times during the Sci-Fi channel Saturday Anime...

WTF happened to Sci Fi channel and anime? I remember several years back the Sci Fi channel would air anime on Saturday mornings around 9 a.m, not only that but they would also have those annual Anime Film Festivals where they would do reports on anime cons and show popular anime films every night for a week. Then all of a sudden they stopped doing both.

What gives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.