Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: Anime... overrated?

1. I don't really see any argument about any of this.

Some anime is great. Lots of it is shit.

Some American animation is great. Lots of it is shit.

It's terribly foolhardy to rate one as entirely better than another, and it's flat stupid to deny either the merits or flaws in either.

As for personal taste, well, that's all it is. Doesn't hold up well in an objective argument.

And I don't see anime as being "overrated" any more than anything else is overrated by its fans.

2. Originally posted by YellerDog
    (It's "Anime Week" in my History of 2D class now... We were forced to watch the Rev. Girl Utena movie in class this morning by a glowing fangirl... guah. That, and some bizarre men-making-out-with-androgenous-boys show... Luckily it was canceled out by a few minutes of Akira and Grave of the Fireflies...)
    Uhm.. I guess your instructor let the students pick the titles? Why? There's tons of other stuff (that was mentioned in this thread) that would be insanely more appropriate than the Utena movie and yaoi...

Go slap the fangirl around a bit. Threaten her with G Gundam episodes.

3. Originally posted by Lhadatt
    Uhm.. I guess your instructor let the students pick the titles? Why? There's tons of other stuff (that was mentioned in this thread) that would be insanely more appropriate than the Utena movie and yaoi...
    I agree. That Utena movie was just horrible. I regret owning it...

--Scourge .

4. Originally posted by Lhadatt

Go slap the fangirl around a bit. Threaten her with G Gundam episodes.
    Yeah, it was a case of the girl in question swamping the prof at the beginning of the quarter with "Oooh! I watch anime! Let me bring stuff in!"

Never, ever, do I sit back and let someone volunteer themselves like that again. *shudder*

What's fun is my Prof was reading the subtitles as they flashed on screen, trying to keep up with a fast-talking character. Good fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Heh, reminds me there's actually a scene in Poemi-chan that's too fast to subtitle. Heck, it might be too fast to dub. I wonder how ADV will handle that.

In an animation class, I'd recommend Betterman and Fruits Basket, since both series are 'shot' differently than most anime. I've learned a lot myself just by watching them. Should definitely be watching newer anime that's been made digitally rather than stuff that was based on cells since virtually no one in Japan uses cells anymore.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

6. Should definitely be watching newer anime that's been made digitally rather than stuff that was based on cells since virtually no one in Japan uses cells anymore.
    Nobody anywhere really uses them anymore, unless they're trying to make a quick buck off the rabid collector's market.

We watched Barefoot Gen last class. Everyone got really quiet afterwards. Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. I understand and respect all the discussion about this but can't say it really interests me. I like action anime; lots of gunfire, explosions, swordfights, etc. When it has a good story (like Ninja Scroll), it's even better.

Many people prefer the deeper animes, like Lain, Eva, Perfect Blue, etc. I don't. It's just a matter of personal taste.

I bought the Guyver vol. 1 the other day and loved it. I'll pick up the other one this weekend.