Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Characters only their designers could love

1. Characters only their designers could love

I finally got VF4, mainly because I only recently got a PS2. Great game and all, but why do the characters look like photoshop experiments gone horribly wrong? I've noticed that the characters have gotten progressively uglier as the series has progressed, when considering the advances in graphics you would think the opposite.

In VF3 for instance, the blonde woman (with the annoying voice whose name totally escapes me right now) looked like a crack whore, but at least Pai and the other woman were fairly decent. Now in VF4 they all look like they've been beaten around by the same evil pimp. Somehow the men manage to look worse.

I think the characters in Shenmue look great, if occasionally generic, so AM2 can produce decent character designs, just not for their flagship series. If Tekken and DOA can have nice looking characters, why can't VF4?

So what other characters have made it hard to play the game because staring at their disfigured mug made the bile rise in your throat?
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger: Bleh.

Not so much the characters, more the costume design, the menu design, and the general aesthetic of FFX. Bleah.

Kung Fu Chaos is ass-ugly, too.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Most recent 3d platformer characters look about as pretty as eastern european political cartoons to me.

5. Bubsy
    Mick and Mack (from Global Gladiators)
    Entire cast of DoA
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. Blinx

7. Bubsy was entirely plain but ok, Aero the Acro-Bat and Zero the Kamikazee Squirrel were just plain bad.

also tack on Dr. Muto. i'd go out on a whim and say he's top of the top in bad designs.

8. I only recently got a PS2.
    How does it feel to have AIDS? </inside joke>

To answer the question, I'd say every one in Hunter the Reckoning and Brute Force.

9. Don't be knockin Vanessa, she's one of the few female fighters I use .

Turok: Evolution- EGM brought this crap to light, some truly sad designs.

Whacked!- The only mildly redeemable character is Lucy and she is a novelty.

R-Type Complete (Turbo CD)- HOLY **** Irem what were you thinking? Characters look like Star Trek rejects and the first boss actually talks...why?

Pocky and Rocky Advance/ Bonk 3/Perfect Dark- Neo does not enjoy lame palette swaps billed as new characters.

Seven Mansions Dreamcast- Seriously, the designer of this horror game went to the wrong field, all his character art looks like fashions out of Vogue, even the frickin mad scientist is trying to look stylish. *-neo

10. Originally posted by Mzo
    Not so much the characters, more the costume design, the menu design, and the general aesthetic of FFX. Bleah.

Kung Fu Chaos is ass-ugly, too.