Thread: Anyone ever mess around with airbrushes?

1. Anyone ever mess around with airbrushes?

I've been curious about them lately, as I hear it's a great way of laying down a smooth layer of color for use in backgrounds or large patches of the same color. Anyone have any experience with them?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Yeah, they would be good for that, just make sure you know exactly what you want to do before you start. An airbrush is not a spontaneous type of tool, you have to be very careful & there isn't any room for experimentation, which is why I don't dig them.

JM

3. I've used them quite a bit, it's a precision tool though, there are a ton of factors that can cause streaks and clogs. Airbrush on canvas is pretty fun since it absorbs better than paper.

The biggest aribrush I ever did was 6 by 4 1/2 feet, of old brewery in my town, framed it and everything...and some janitors threw it away when they cleaned out my school's studio. Damn. *-neo

4. Sounds cool, thanks guys. Airbrushes sound cool, however, they don't sound very pratical. Do either of you know a similar or different method for filling in large areas with one color? Using pencils or markers doesn't work so well as both leave scribble marks or streaks.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. What are you doing it on? If it is just one color, why not just mix a bunch of it & use a large paint brush?

JM

6. I'm using it on white paper, 60lb, with a slightly rough texture. Perhaps paint is the way to go, it's just that I suck with a brush.

7. Prisma sticks can be used this way otherwise a flat layer of paint as JM suggested is the best course. *-neo

8. Tape the paper down tightly onto a piece of wood with masking tape(Masking tape is important because it won't rip your paper when you pull it up.). This will prevent it from wrinkling too badly. Do all your painting while it is still on the board. I would reccommend Gessoing the paper first, with plain white. Make sure you use strokes that all go in one direction. Once that is dry put down a layer of the desired color in the same way. Wait for that to dry then do another. You will also may get nice results by switching the strokes. All horizontal for one coat, vert for the second. That should lessen the appearance of streaks & too much texture in the paint.

Hope that helps in some way.

JM

9. Thanks, guys, you've both been a big help.