Thread: Gods and Generals

1. Gods and Generals

I'm not too sure if I want to sit through this almost four hour long movie. But, the subject matter is of something that intrests me and it's nice to see the Confederates not treated like complete assholes.

Too bad all of the reviews have been negative ones, Jesus. I'm still not sure.

Fun note: My computer science teacher is a Union soldier in this movie, he can be seen twice. Once marching through Fredricksberg and the other time as a dead lump on the wall. Pretty cool.

Well I liked the Gettysberg Movie, but Gods and Generals like you mentioned is getting horrible reviews and important issues like the treatment of slaves is glossed over. Four Hours? Damn it's shorter than Gettysberg at least.

Also if they are going to make a Movie true to the subject then I would prefer it to be R-Rated and gory as the battles really were, not watered down.

I'm gonna pass but if your Teacher is in it you might get a kick outta it? Hell if someone I knew was in it I might sit through it.

3. Korian: Turner financed the film which is why it takes a more southern approach. Since Ted's a southerner he looks back on the events in a way only a southerner can, with respect and admiration towards the confederates. Yes, the key issue during The Civil War was slavery, but there were alot of other subtle nuances that shaped the events as well. I for one was dying to see it this weekend but it was sold-out. maybe later than.

Also the DVD will have two more hours of footage added back in. The bulk of that two hours is one battle scene.

Wait... the DVD will be 6 hours long?

5. Originally posted by ShineAqua
    Korian: Turner financed the film which is why it takes a more southern approach. Since Ted's a southerner he looks back on the events in a way only a southerner can, with respect and admiration towards the confederates. Yes, the key issue during The Civil War was slavery, but there were alot of other subtle nuances that shaped the events as well. I for one was dying to see it this weekend but it was sold-out. maybe later than.
    And all those nuances can be traced back to slavery. Hahha, you know, Ive done the research, the Civil War was 99.5% slavery... I mean, sure, a person could say that it was a battle over state's rights... but it was state's rights over slavery. Etc. Bottom line, the South wanted slavery, it didnt want to lose influence in the USA (by losing an important way to gain revenue, and thus influence), so it went to war.

Today we live in a world that is pretty much slave-free, at least in the civilized parts. Its weird that maybe 10,000 or so years of people enslaving one another came to a head between 1861 and 1865, between Pennsylvania and Maryland. Its pretty fascinating.

But you gotta be fucking nuts to think that the Civil War was not about slavery, or that those other subtle nuances were independent of slavery. Im not arguing with you... Im just saying... glossing over slavery in any treatment of the Civil War is like glossing over Nazism in any treatment of World War II. Its just not right.

6. Yes, it was about slavery, but I'm not using that as backing for this film's approach to the south. Most of the Confederate soldiers weren't fighting because they wanted slaves but because they were afraid that it was a sign of the north imposing their values upon the nation. They were afraid that the north was going to swoop down and take everything away from them, so they fought to protect their lands. Remember that the soldiers fought for a freedom of their own kind too, it was their government that fought to impose slavery. To take demonize the soldiers that fight the war as opposed to the government that imposes the war is ridiculous at best. He’s just trying to show that the southerners were human too, something that is rarely felt by those who look back at this time.

7. Last bump for you.

I saw it this weekend and I must say that I don't understand what crawled up the ass, of every critic in the nation, and died. It's an excellent film with some of the best acting I've ever seen in my life (it was nice to see Bruce Boxlightner getting some serious drama roles post B5.) The story, mainly centered arround Stonewall Jackson and the events leading to his death, is beautifully acted and well presented. It's powerful and moving. It does a great job humanizing the soldiers of the confederate army while condemning the stance of thier government. If you havn't seen it I strongly suggest you do.

On a side note this was supposed to be a three part series. Gods and Generals being the first, followed by Gettysburg, then The Last Command(I believe that was the name.) The last of which was supposed to start filming after the success of this one was assured, however now there are serious doubts about the last arc of this story because Gods and Generals isn't doing as well as hoped. It cost $70 mil. and has only recouped about $10 mil. Which is shameful cosidering how great this film is.