Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain America and the Avengers

1. Captain America and the Avengers

Just pulled this brawler out again.

Back in the late 80's - early 90's brawlers were about as plentiful as fighting games. These were the days of TMNT, AvP, Simpsons, and other classics.

Captain America and the Avengers is another such game. It was fairly standard fare- select from the Cap'n, Vision, Iron Man, or Hawkeye and take down the armies of Red Skull. Other Marvel characters make appearances throughout, such as Qucksilver and *snicker* Wonder Man. Of interest is that there are shmup-like flying segments in the game.

Suprisingly, the Genesis version of the game is better than the SNES. Genny has most of the voices from the arcade while the SNES has almost no voice samples. The music is also better on Genny as well.

While not on par with other superhero brawlers like the double-screened X-Men, Spider-Man, or TMNT, the Cap'n still is a fun diversion.

Anyone else like this one?

Cool quotes:

"We'll teach you the meaning of justice!"

"I can't move!"

"Wait! America still needs your help!"

"You came here to die!"

"You'll be the one escaping!"

2. Funny you should mention this game as I just got done playing through on my Nomad. Being able to play a portable version of it that doesn't suck is just too cool(the GameGear version is decent for what it is, but Christ does it suffer due to tehnical limitations.) The SNES version's controls were also worse than those on the Genesis version. And is it just me, or did the game seem to move at a slower pace on the SNES?
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Hawkeye was teh ownage!

My brother and I used to frequent our (then) local 7-11 to play this over and over again. One of the best arcade games ever, in my ever-so humble opinion.

I was Hawkeye, he was Vision, and butts were liberally kicked in good measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

4. I loved this game, never played the home versions but beat it in the arcades.

Great beat-em up.

X-men was also a fun beat-em up. Too bad there was no ending, just a "Thank You for Playing" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

I used to play it at the local Pizza Point after school.

The SNES version was a horrible disgrace... it felt totally wrong, and looked like a pitiful NES game.

I've never tried the Genny version, but, if it's better, I'm interested. I love that game.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. shit. zerodash posted my quote... lol

"I can't MOOOOVE!"

...heh, and then you had that evil laughter. man, i want to get a wave of that stuff!

7. I like the arcade version but rarely play it. It's a good fun game but I'd rather be playing either of the TMNT games.

8. I remember playing this in the arcades at Chuck E Cheese and before I knew it I was out of tokens. Anyway when i heard this was coming out on consoles I was very excited. The thing was though when I got the genesis version I was kinda dissappointed--the wow factor was gone. The SNES version did look brighter/better but the Gen one wasn't as stiff to control. For me it was all about Iron Man. Speaking of comic book brawlers--remember Sega's 4 player Spider-Man? It looked amazing especially when you fought a 40 ft Venom--but why did Spidey have a paunch and was hunched over?

9. I always played Black-Cat in the Spidey game. She was just better. Who were the other two characters? Namor and...Ah, I forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

10. I loved the Spidey arcade game to death. Spidey's hunched appearance is weird, he sorta has it in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The Spidey game was fun as hell, but the X-Men game gets the nod from me due to me liking the X-Men characters more than the ones in Spidey.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan