Thread: Official Resourcing Thread for TNL

1. Official Resourcing Thread for TNL

Hey. Alright, well this forum is probably my favorite on the board because of people like Hero, Blaine, and Negitoro constantly giving feedback and helping people with character sketches, painting, and composition altogether. So I decided to try and make an effort to improve the site for us all and make an official resourcing thread.

How I 'expect' (except being the key word here) it to work is that if somebody wants a resource such as drawing hair, fur, etc. Or maybe it's colouring resources. How do I colour a piece on the computer, and do it well? This could also work for people needing picture of animals, lamps, things from a different era and such that they don't want to look for on google, or are having trouble finding by themselves, then they ask and we try to deliver. Any heads are better than one... right?

It also gives more purpose to the forum than just posting WIPs or Finals.

So with this I would like to kick it off by asking for clothing resources from the 1700's - 1800's from France/England. Think the Three Musketeers/Man in the Iron mask. Embroidered hats, detailed swords, etc. Is all game. Thanks in advance.

And I hope this helps some people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. wow...that's a toughie.

I'd say a google search is always the best way to start with what you're looking for. Image search certain criteria (like the Musketeers), check a few images, and if you find stuff that you're looking for, check the site of the place that hosts the image. See if they have more material, see if they were using books, see if they recommend books. Then it's off to a library for researching more images. Heck, doing something like you want, it wouldn't hurt to find books with images and text either.

It's a pretty painless process (unless you need obscure reference material), and what I've been doing for most of my art classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. If not your Library, bookstores sometimes can very useful too. I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day, and noticed a book that provided all the military uniforms (w painted illustrations) of most every nationality since the 1800s. Anyway, my point is the bigger bookstores have some good stuff, and you can just go around looking at it all for free. Internet can be a real hassle sometimes.

4. I tried this with another forum and people there never seemed to care much. It's a great idea but unless people already have the reference pics you're looking for in their collection, they're hard press to help much.

...And I was asking for references so I could draw the characters that THEY requested. Some are just lazier than me !

5. So you steal the books to get these pictures for free?
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Nah, just tear off the pages you want...

7. So what you're saying is to use the lesser of the books as artillery to throw at the incoming librarians while you run out of the library?

8. ...or you could, you know, check out the books from the library.

Just a thought =p
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

9. Use the "images" tab on google and search for "musketeer" i guess. or you can try www.ditto.com to search for images.