Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Axe II

1. Golden Axe II

Rather than bless us with a Genny translation or a Saturn port (why?) of the AWESOME Golden Axe: Revenge of the Death Adder, we got Golden Axe II.

This Genesis-only title circa 1991 is little more than a rehash of the commendable translation of Golden Axe 1. Most of the sprites in the game are lifted directly from the first game.

Gameplay is nearly exactly the same as the first. Also, the same 3 characters from GA1 are present with no additions. The only notable changes come in the back-attack animations for the characters, and the way in which magic is activated. You now have control over how much magic you use per volley.

The background art is also pure crap.

Anyone have memories of this one?

2. yeah, the only thing I liked was the headless knights. This could have been better...
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

3. I liked part two. Yes, it's a rehash but it's still fun. The music isn't as good as part one's and the cool death screams have been replaced with a weak "bleh", but the game is still hghly playable. At least the gameplay was left intact for the most part.

Has anyone played part three? It was Mega Drive only.

4. When I played Golden Axe II I was so young I didn't even realise it was a rehash... the levels looked new and that was good enough for me... Plus I only played it at my aunts house so I never got to deep into it...

5. Which Golden Axe was it with the playable character that was the cat-man...I always thought it was part 3

6. Originally posted by Doug Branches
    Which Golden Axe was it with the playable character that was the cat-man...I always thought it was part 3
    You are correct, sir. It was actually not a bad game.

The game that dissapointed me though. was golden axe: the duel. i have it for the saturn and I was taken in with the graphics but the game itself was crappy.

Oh, I remember Golden Axe 2 alright. Since I was one of the biggest Golden Axe 1 fans on the planet(and I still am), Golden Axe 2 was pure disappointment. Other than the improved magic system, everything was a huge step down. I didn't anticipate this let-down because I wasn't thinking that the game was made by a different team than the original. Still, Golden Axe 2 isn't a bad game; it's actually decent on its own merits.

But Sega made it up to me somewhat with Revenge of Death Adder. It didn't feel like Golden Axe but it was damn good anyway.

Golden Axe 3 on MD is okay but is still the worst in the series. I played it long after being warned about its quality.

8. Have you guys tried The Legend of Silk Road on Mame. It is a ripoff of Revenge of the Death Adder but with rendered CGI graphics. The controls are bad but the magic is cool looking.
    I don't know how to get rid of the huge space here.

9. The Legend of Silk Road sucks hard. Graphics are ass as is the gameplay.

Carry on.

10. I never realized GA II was a rehash.... then again I was like 12 years old. I believe I enjoyed GA II more than the original.