Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu-gi-oh Duelists of the Roses - Official and all that

1. Yu-gi-oh Duelists of the Roses - Official and all that

Well, I do have somewhat of weak spot for card games. Not that I'm very good at any of them(Pokemon, Magic, AVP) and ofcourse FF8 Tripple Triad , but what always interested me was the strategy aspects of the play. About 2 years ago, I had my small Pokemon obssesion, trying to collect all the cards, but thankfully it went away(but not without some damage to my wallet ). After that incident, I said to myself - no more card games. So when Yu-gi-oh card game hit the scene, it all went past me almost unnoticed.

Till recently DJ started getting some free Yugi cards from some of his friends, and built somewhat a nice and powerfull deck. He played one of his friends few times, and while I watched, my interest for the game started to grow.

So while at my Hollywood Video, I decided to check out PS2 Yu-gi-oh Duelist of the Roses game. Well, after playing it for last 7 days, I can say that the game very hard(at least till you get some better cards and learn all the rules of play), but at the same time very addictive. While the rules are somewhat different from the regular card game, and the game combines the card movement with regular card rules, the basic principle, characters involved and monster selection stays true the original.

The layout is somewhat simular to chess, where your deck leader is placed on one side of the play field and your opponent's leader on the other side. As the game begins you can summon cards from your hand(you can only have 5 cards in your hand) and based on how much summoning points you have this turn, place it on the field. If not used summon points increase, so next turn you have a larger number, and it can be used to summon higher monster, that you couldnt summon last turn. You can have 5 monsters on the fields, plus infinite number of various magic and trap cards. Once car placed on the field you can either move it, place it into defense mode, or use it to attack nearby enemy cards. Using magic and trap cards especially fun, since you can use them to create all powerfull super beast, or use deadly trap to hunt your opponent cards, or trick enemy to step on your traps.

You start with somewhat a weak deck, so your first few battles will be a pain in the ass. They were for me, thats for sure. I lost like 7 times before I finally got some grasp on the game controlls and other little techniques, and with some luck beat my first opponent. And after that things got much better. After each battle, you get an option of Slot Machine, in which if you lucky and good with your timing you can win some better cards your opponent used in the battle against you. That way you can improve your deck. So you will end up fighting your enemies several times, in hope of getting better cards, but its not as boring as it might sound

There are plenty of cool touches, such as Fusions where you can combine few cards to creat a new, much better(or sometimes worse) unit. Experimentation is fun, but does require alot of note taking, if you want to keep up with better fusions.

You get the choice of playing on either good or bad side, which adds some replayability to the game. I'm playing Red Rose(good) campaign, and after I'm done I will start White Rose one. There is also an option of Custom duel where you can take on Computer Opponent, and win some good cards in the process.

Graphically the game is decent, but nothing extraordinary. Most of the game takes place on the board like field, but monster battles do take place on 3d plane, and some of the monsters have pretty cool designs and 3d models. Music wise its decent, but forgettable.

Overall, I was surprised by this game, and definately having alot of fun playing it. Even DJ who at first hated it, now hooked playing it

2. I love this game!

Way to go on an official thread! Something I should have done.

Playing on Kaiba's team is much more fun than on Yugi's.

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

3. Well the whole getting cards from your opponents, has been in every game of the Yu-Gi-Oh video game series. It's changed a few times, for DDS (Dark Duel Stories) You get one card after each battle (Which drags the game on forever as you try to get the cards you want). In Eternal Duelist Soul, you choose from booster packs, which is much nicer as you get 5 cards in each pack. Not to mention you get a magazine every week and another each month, which come with 5 cards.

The fact that it's hard in the beginning, yeah it's always been like that, the only problem I truly have with the game series, is after you get the right cards, it becomes way too easy.

The whole layout of the game sounds much like the shows (Which also very different from the actual card game) and actually sounds better. The only reason those rules don't exist for the actual card game is probably because of how broken the game would become. It would probably end up like Magic, with all it's broken addictiveness.

The major difference I see in the game play for that is:
    Unlimited magic and traps
    Actual Movement on the field
    The Slot Machine,
    and the fact you get to move around a little on the outside world I believe.

Note: I have only played Dark Duel Stories (GameBoy Color) and Eternal Soul (Game Boy Advanced) So I don't know how it differs from the playstation game.

What I should probably due is go to my sisters friend's house across the street, and steal err borrow his copy. In fact I might do that. Just be careful you have no annoying friends who like to make fun of people who play card games. I repeatedly am refered to as "Kaiba" by one of my friends.

4. Well, I chose to go with good guys first

Cool idea, I will keep it as an official thread I got the game on Ebay today, so hopefully it will be in the mail soon, and till it arrives I will keep the rental copy and continue playing.

I'm trying to build a powerfull deck, and right now have a pretty strong Dinosaur/Machine deck, plus bunch of power up(both dino and machine), trap cards(Dark Hole is VERY usefull when enemy is almost ready to kill you ) and magic(Change of Hearts and Monster Reborn kick ass ).

You do have to keep the deck power level to the certain number since enemies wont fight you if your deck power is higher than theirs, and plus you have to have 40 cards in your deck as well. That leads to alot of deck management and card tossing

5. Sounds pretty cool, I picked up the PSX version awhile back but I haven't had time to play any of it yet

I love them wolf cards

6. Originally posted by Despair
    I'm trying to build a powerfull deck, and right now have a pretty strong Dinosaur/Machine deck, plus bunch of power up(both dino and machine), trap cards(Dark Hole is VERY usefull when enemy is almost ready to kill you ) and magic(Change of Hearts and Monster Reborn kick ass ).
    Dinosaur/Machine aye; interesting combo though I usually go with a light based deck, relying on cards like Dunames the Dark Witch and Neo the Magic Swordsman. Dark Hole not only is very useful it's also one of the most common cards in the actual card game. As are Change of Hearts and Monster Reborn.

You do have to keep the deck power level to the certain number since enemies wont fight you if your deck power is higher than theirs, and plus you have to have 40 cards in your deck as well. That leads to alot of deck management and card tossing
    Now the fact that if your deck level is too high, certain enemies won't face you, that Owns hardcore. Which I guess you could say increases difficulty a great amount. Maybe I should seriously give this game a chance and borrow or steal it for a while.

7. Anyone play Dungeon Monster Dice, or something like that? It looks like it plays identicaly to DotR. I'm sorely interested in it and would love some impressions.

Who do you guys have for your Deck Leader? Mine's a Dark Patrician. The most powerful card I have is the Mammoth of Goldfine. It gets a power bonus on mountain and dark type terain. I also have a card that turns all squares in a 2 space radius to dark terain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

8. Well, The only two Wolf Cards I've seen were Flower Wolf(weird mix of Wolf and Flower Plant ) and Giga Tech Wolf(a pretty cool cyborg/transformer type mech), but there probably more Wolf variations exist

Another cool point that adds to the strategy of the game is terrain type. When for example you controlling machines or dinosaurs, your terrain type of choice is Wasteland, on which your Attack and Defense stats increase, but once you get into Forrest terrain, you are on disadvantage, and your stats decrease, giving your opponent's units that favor that terrain an upper hand in the battle. But there are some Magic cards that change Terrain types, and those come in very handy when you face situation like that.

9. Another cool point that adds to the strategy of the game is terrain type. When for example you controlling machines or dinosaurs, your terrain type of choice is Wasteland, on which your Attack and Defense stats increase, but once you get into Forrest terrain, you are on disadvantage, and your stats decrease, giving your opponent's units that favor that terrain an upper hand in the battle. But there are some Magic cards that change Terrain types, and those come in very handy when you face situation like that.
    Something that isn't exactly in the cardgame, because most field cards effect all, and only one field magic card can exist on the playing field at one time. So the fact that you can have multiple field magic cards at one time, is pretty cool.

10. Right now my deck leader is Serpentain Princess. She is ok, but I will be changing her to one of my Stronger Dino cards, that had been promoted few times recently. When I get enough good cards to build 2nd deck, I will put her as leader there.

Also how about using some of the cards with Flip effect, that have cool effects like trapping enemy that attacks it, completely destroys the attacker or allows you bring back the card from graveyard. I have few of those and usually send and place them infront of enemy cards, so when attacked they not only reveal enemy cards, but also affect them.