Thread: Bernie Stolar and Rob Dyer Join Ultimate Gamers Expo

1. Bernie Stolar and Rob Dyer Join Ultimate Gamers Expo

The Ultimate Gamers Expo (UGE) has named Bernard Stolar, Rob Dyer and Don Vaughn to its advisory board. Stolar and Dyer are widely recognized game industry luminaries and will play an integral role in UGE’s success. Vaughn’s vast experience in the convention and conference sphere adds valuable knowledge to the physical launch of the Expo itself in its first year. UGE will offer the general public the opportunity to “test drive” some of the latest pre-launch game titles and will make its debut August 15-17 in the South Hall of the Los Angeles Convention Center.

“We’re thrilled that Bernie Stolar, Rob Dyer and Don Vaughn have joined our advisory board,” said Wayne Pepper, Co-Founder of the UGE. “Their insights into the gaming industry and the evolving consumer body are enormous assets as we ramp up to launch the first Ultimate Gamers Expo.”

With a career in the gaming industry spanning over 20 years, Bernie Stolar has become a household name in the business. As executive vice president at Sony Computer Entertainment of America (SCEA), Stolar was a key player in the management team that launched the Sony PlayStation. Following his success at SCEA, Stolar joined Sega of America and Sega Entertainment as president and COO where he was responsible for Sega’s console and PC gaming business in North America and the successful launch of the Sega Dreamcast. Stolar went on to become president of Mattel Interactive where he was responsible for all of Mattel’s software, online and computer-enhanced toys. Stolar currently serves as an exclusive consultant in the interactive entertainment industry.

Rob Dyer has served as president of Eidos Interactive, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Eidos, PLC, since November 1998. Prior to assuming his position at Eidos Interactive, Dyer was president of the highly regarded Crystal Dynamics, Inc. Prior to joining Crystal Dynamics, Dyer worked for Disney Home Video International as Director of Sales and Business Development.

Don Vaughn currently serves as executive vice president of The Freeman Companies. Prior to Freeman, Vaughn was president of BillCom Exposition & Conference Group, a trade show management company in the Washington, D.C. area. Before joining BillCom, Vaughn was president and CEO of The Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau, with complete responsibility for all operations. In addition, Vaughn's previous experience includes three years as Vice President of the Astrodomain Corporation, responsible for all conventions and trade show events in the Astrohall and Astrodome and 15 years of involvement with the Convention Liaison Council, the umbrella organization of the convention/trade show industry.

Attendees of UGE will have a chance to buy games, equipment and gear at the event. In turn, exhibitors will be able to conduct market research and consumer testing on their most desirable target demographic – young, passionate game enthusiasts as well as families with multigenerational players. Projected attendance is 100,000 + participants of both genders ranging from 12-34 years old. Admission to the festival is $20 for adults and $10 for anyone under the age of 17.

At its launch in Los Angeles, UGE will host a game design workshop that provides an opportunity for aspiring young designers to be taught by the best in the business. In addition, a “Mobile Gaming Pavilion” will draw attention to the newest downloadable games for cellular phones and other devices. In order to create a complete festival atmosphere, the company will provide live entertainment – including extreme sports demonstrations, martial arts combatants and musical talent, celebrities and athletes.

ABOUT THE ULTIMATE GAMERS EXPO

The first-ever Ultimate Gamers Expo will be held in the South Hall of the Los Angeles Convention Center from August 15-17, 2003. UGE is an innovative three-day festival of gaming and entertainment open to the public. UGE will give fans the opportunity to test-drive the latest games and platforms, participate in high-octane tournaments, and enjoy live entertainment. For more information, please visit www.ugexpo.com.
    So like uh...who's going to this?

At what point did Bernie Stolar become a "luminary?" By definition, wouldn't someone have to be bright to achieve luminessence?

3. Apparently not.

Its in LA, of COURSE.

Bastards

4. i'd go if i lived in l.a. :kirby:

5. Ehh...Remind me again when it's time, and I'll go =D
    Play Guitar Hero //

6. Originally posted by Master
    Apparently not.

Its in LA, of COURSE.

Bastards
    Hey, we're not proud of this.

7. Personally, I'm a little surprised that Bernie puts a dismal failure like Mattel Interactive on his resume....
    shane_

8. It's in August, right?

I guess I'll go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.