Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Phantom Crash (Xbox): Official Thread

1. Phantom Crash (Xbox): Official Thread

Just got the game today. Since I know some of you are interested in this game I'll post my thoughts on the game after the first hour or so of play:

So far it's a mixed bag. On the one hand I like the cool atmosphere, the funky J-pop tunes, the stylish interface and the extensive degree to which you can customize your Scoobee (or "mech" in layman's terms; for the life of me I can't understand why they call them "Scoobees"). You can also customize your CHIP, or onboard computer AI. Each is based on a particular animal (dog, rabbit, cat, owl, hamster, rat, etc.) and each has abilities commensurate with that animal: dog AI improves defense and raises the chance that a "Repulsion Shield" will be activated, cat AI raises missile lock-on range, etc. You can color your Scoobee anyway you want, you can add stickers and other crazy crap, and you can upgrade pretty quickly in the game.

Some things I don't like: while the graphics are pretty nice generally, the actual in-combat graphics leave something to be desired. The entire screen looks really "dusty" and the engine moves at an unimpressive 30 fps. The controls are also difficult to get used to. You move with the left stick and aim with the right, but the aiming cursor is very slippery and it's difficult to know when you've locked on to something. The combat also feels very different than in other mech games in that it's much, much faster, almost like you're piloting an RC-controlled mech or something. The sound effects are also somewhat odd; every time you hit a Scoobee with your gun you hear a strange "ping" sound, like a bell ringing. I sort of expected to hear a big thud or crashing sound to let me know I hit something.

You'll get the full story on the game once I write my review in a few weeks. But right now Phantom Crash could go either way for me.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. scoobees lol...good impressions, I will most likely rent it when I have a chance, for now the only mech game I will be buying is Mech Assault

3. Buying this one in January. Looks hot.
    Sleeve, I await your review.
    - Kabuki

4. J-Pop makes me want to kill myself.

5. Not all Japanese music is j-pop. The majority of music in Phantom Crash isn't j-pop. The reason I think it makes a ching sound when you hit is because that sound is distinctive and you can hear it outside of the explosions and other sounds. At higher classes, it's pretty important to know if you hit or missed, especially if your target is cloaked. The controls are sensitive and take some getting used to, but you can put it on newbie mode if you have problems. Right now the controls seem perfect to me (5+ hours in).

By 'locked on' you mean normal weapons, right? Not missiles, since it's obvious if you have a lock there are not. With normal weapons at C class you don't have time to tell if you are going to hit or not. You fire and dodge the return volley or you're scrap.

And you didn't even mention the whole reason why it's call 'Phantom' Crash... tsk, tsk.

Though this game has its flaws, I'm loving it so far. Most scoobie parts have 199 levels of customization. Crazy.

Oh, Mech Assault has no customization. Removes the whole reason I used to play Mechwarrior games. -_-
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

6. So whats Jet Set Radio about this game?
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

7. What's Jet Set Radio about it?

I guess it's the overall style, the funky characters, the Japanese music that reminds me of JSR. It's not cel-shaded or anything.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

8. Man I really want to play this game, sigh, another reason I wish I was a Millionaire.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

9. kekekekekeke!!!!!

10. I've had the game for a few days now, and I'm really digging it. The thing I like most about it, and is sorely lacking in a lot of games, is style. The game's simply oozing with it (Thus the reference to JSRF).

It really is a fun romp.

I like it much more than Mech Assault, if that has any bearing on anything.

Thumbs up!
    Boo, Hiss.