Thread: Valcano High

1. Valcano High

Just ordered this movie, it looks bad ass. Any one heard of it or seen it?

You can see the trailer for this film at http://www.heroic-cinema.com/films/m...lcano_high.htm
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

2. Well, I posted about it before Pretty cool Korean action fantasy. While it might be short on plot, it full of style, and visual fx are excellent. It has the feel of Anime, from the characters, to the sets and even action scenes. It is a little too long, and does drag a bit in the middle. Still a very fun flick.

3. I didn't like it. The first few minutes get you pumped for something awesome, but the movie never does anything special. If you've seen any special effects fights before, you've seen all of them in this movie (expect not done as well).
    pwned by Ivan

4. Well, I'll disagree Green. For example the final showdown with Substitute Teacher at the end, was a showcase of the films FX, and was masterfully done. Sure it borrowed few trades of Matrix, but it also had few original touches.

5. Oh! They throw their lame powerballs while running on their tip-toes! Weee!
    pwned by Ivan

6. I agree with Green.

The movie is setup so you're expecting an all out, SFX, school brawling movie... and then the pace slows down, the plot reduces to drivel and the fighting becomes relatively sparse.

The FX was well done for all intents and purposes but is never really used enough and in an appropriate variety of ways.

The worst part of this movie is the inane storyline which not only makes no sense but has subplots which are not resolved, plot issues which are mentioned and never elaborated, things that happen for no reason.

For this reason, the parts in the middle drag on. Since the story isn't enough to captivate and the characters never really developed all that well, it just seems like we want to wait until the next fight scene.

To me, the movie would have been awesome if everyone had some sort of fighting proficiency and special powers like a live action version of the Rival Schools games...It's still an interesting movie, but there's better movies to be had.

7. Well, I never said that its a best movie Korean cinema can offer , but as special fx fest, it shines. As for plot, it remind me of many Animes and Manga that have school setting, and have characters work out their problems, with fighting and such. I think director went for that style, and he got it just right.

Sure, I wouldnt mind seing more action, and I agree that middle part of the film dragged(as I mentioned in my first post), but I enjoyed the ending enough to give it a pass

8. hell, i appreciated teh pacing in this flick alot more than i have in recent japanese/korean/asian films(anime or otherwise). most of them go straight for the action and deter from the plot until the last 30 minutes where everything is explained(shiri[which sucked cock besides the point],almost all of the newer anime, and spriggan). it was a refreshing pace to see these kids in their natural habitat(school) and how it effected them(even tho theyre insanely Rival Schools-afied).

with all the time spent on characters, their manerisms, etc...i was thouroughly satisfied when the end of the flick came about(i got the korean 2disc set for 12bucks on ebay...WOOT). hell, with the backdrops and clothes being of a darker tint, it helps alot when the action gets underway AND it also lets you see the facial features alot more during the more serious/'dragging' parts.

one of the top 10 asian flicks i've seen(next up...versus)
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

9. I liked the cinematography and atmosphere of the movie, but not much else. Fights were cool a lot of the time, and I liked such scenes as the Ox guy getting drunk quite a bit. Overall an interesting movie, and I guess I could see myself being in the mood to watch it again at some time in the future.
    God is Rome

10. I enjoyed this movie a great deal. fairly light on the action actually, considering the promises the trailer seems to make. but a good comedy nonetheless.