Page 15 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The Victory Thread

1. Originally posted by Brisco Bold
    Does anybody know exactly why the recontruction of South Korea, Germany and Japan did so well? (I'm actually curious.) Any thoughts?
    Germany was ok before the first world war. Japan = beats me and S.Korea hasn't done so well. Better than N. Korea yes, but still the place is in the shitter.

Then again, if you go back far enough (not even that far) Iraq was a fairly well to do place with lots and lots of very educated people.

ºTracer
    o_O

2. I believe that Germany was actually fined for WW2, to the tune of 2 billion dollars. 2 billion in 1945, which they did pay off, mind you.

Japan was basically taken over by the US and that was the foundation for the new country. They standardized the Kanji then and focused on economics.

I don't know much about S. Korea, though it's a lot better off than N. Korea.

3. That's the Germans though :/ Hard workers... like cyborgs!
    o_O

4. Originally posted by Zerodash
    *pokes head in*

my anti-war, anti-US friends are actually HAPPY AND CHEERFUL about the executions of those US troops. I hope you other peacenicks are feeling joy as well.

Just be mindful of your hypocracy- that is all

*pops out*
    Meh, that's pretty shitty.

I think the US could be doing a lot more, if they didn't try to avoid civilian casualties. They could drop MOAB's on Baghdad or E-bomb it, both of those would kill civilians or destroy the electrical assets of the entire town.

I'm disturbed by the reports of feigning surrendering and then attacking, and the treatment of POW's. A section of the Iraqi Army makes Nazi's look good in that respect.

Looks like the next couple days are going to be the worst so far. :/

Originally posted by Tracer
    That's the Germans though :/ Hard workers... like cyborgs!
    True.

German Engineers and Scientists were vastly above and beyond anything the allies had, up until 1960, I'd say.

The weapons they made were superrior to the allies in almost every way. I think only the Spitfire was better than it's counterpart, the ME-109.

5. How could that make them happy? I'm like the Swiss on the matter personally but crikey, that's not cool. Of course... plenty of people shake pom-poms at the cruise missles swarming over Iraq.

Again about the Germans though: There's a quote from some critic reguarding the Cold War/Space Race that I really liked.

"Our German scientists are better than your German scientists!"

ºTracer
    o_O

6. I shake pom-poms knowing that Saddam's wacko son could be gone.
    Otherwise, nice to know that we're trying as hard as we can to avoid civilian deaths. Of course, then the Iraqi soldiers don't give a shit, do they? Bah. Once they started burning children and torturing their POWs, I expected the anti-war rallies to stop. Guess not. Damn.
    </randomcomments>

7. I'm not anti-war, I'm anti-death/destruction. Currently I think war is a solution that is not worse than leaveing Hussien to his vices.

If Americans die - I hate it.
    If Iraqis die - I hate it.

I will not smile much at the thought of cruise missles smashing a city on the banks of the Tibris even if it is on the way to accomplishing a goal. I happen to think duty should be take soberly. We can't win earthquakes.
    o_O

8. Looks like this has turned into another squabble. The "chemical" plant hasn't been confirmed and they said it was premature to label it as such. Iraq has so far not used any illegal weapons in this war.

Zerodash, you're friends are idiots, but you're a bigger one for hanging out with them.

I'd like to know if Bush plans on giving the Kurds their own country? Would he defy almost every other country including Turkey to help the people he claims to be fighting this war for? No one in the region likes the Kurds. If you keep them in Iraq, their going to get the same treatment no matter who's running the show. It would be like creating another Israel and in my lifetime, not a day has passed that I haven't heard about trouble over there.

And what's with this Geneva Convention bullshit now? So now all of a sudden we respect international law? Bush and co. wanted this war alone, so they better handle it alone.

Just when it seems like the conservatives and the liberals were both becoming more civil, it just breaks down again. Lay off of Almaci. Maybe his ideas are unpopular, but I don't he should be insulted and blasted for speaking his mind. I'll admit he sometimes goes a little to far, but I don't feel the need to post a hate comment to make myself feel better.

I'd also like to add that the news media has done a terribly one-sided job in covering this war.

SC

9. Originally posted by ChaoofNee
    I shake pom-poms knowing that Saddam's wacko son could be gone.
    Otherwise, nice to know that we're trying as hard as we can to avoid civilian deaths. Of course, then the Iraqi soldiers don't give a shit, do they? Bah. Once they started burning children and torturing their POWs, I expected the anti-war rallies to stop. Guess not. Damn.
    </randomcomments>
    Urm, where did you get that from?

10. Which part?
    The burning children? I'm talking about the trenches dug around schools that were filled with oil and set aflame.