Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow...

1. Wow...

Well, Spirited Away won Best Animated Feature Film.

I'm not all that surprised but it's still kinda surprising.

2. Heh, my faith in the Academy has gone up ever so slightly. Too bad there was little hubbub over the win and no one made a speech in Miyazaki's place.

3. OH YEA, Academy Awards are on! Ugh, this damn Pacific Time is just screwing with me... Im used to shit like this being on at 9:00 at night, not at fucking 6:30.

4. Good for him. The critics were going for Lilo & Stitch, I think.

5. Maybe this will help get his movies more widespread in America if Disney releases any more in theatres.
    pwned by Ivan

6. I was happily surprised on the win, however, I have no faith in the American public at large. I don't think the Oscar will motivate people to see the film. It would be a miracle if Miyazaki's films reached a broader audience than most indie/art house films. Seriously, has there EVER been a successful animated film that wasn't geared towards kids? I am uncertain if Heavy Metal, Secret of Nimh, The Lord of the Rings (animated) were certified hits, but in recent memory I can think of none.

7. soundwave, I saw the movie in my school. Okay... it was $2... a cheap thing to do with your girlfriend, I guess... but it was PACKED. I wasnt the only one who wanted to see it... virtually everyone I mentioned it to was very eager to go. People WANT to see it, they just CANT.

Spirited Away was not really pushed by Disney when it was in the theatre, so of course it did not make all that much money. However, it still can become successful, and I do believe that future anime will continue to reach a broader and broader audience. Your elitist, snobbish attitude is ridiculous. Was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon not a huge success here in America... SUBTITLED no less? I thought the American moviegoing public was too fucking stupid to read while they watch a movie?

Cause, let me tell ya, Ive heard that one before too, and its total crap (obviously). The problem with Spirited Away is that Disney just didn't give a fuck about Spirited Away and just threw it out there with minimal support.

Furthermore... what QUALITY animated motion pictures geared for "adults" can you tell me have been released in past years? Heavy Metal? Are you kidding me? I would take a zillion non-animated movies over that shit. See, the fact is that there aren't any. It takes a big film to get people to go watch the shit... and when there really hasn't been anything... it's not that the American public won't see it, it's that there is nothing to see.

Look, just the fact that Spirited Away won over movies like Lilo & Stitch and Ice Age (which were HUGE box office hits) should tell you that somebody out there is watching the movie and enjoying it. See, the fact that Spirited Away did not get huge viewership is NOT because the American public is dense. It's because Disney and whomever else THINKS the American public is dense and doesn't give these movies the shot they deserve.

8. I apologize if I intoned any snobbishness. I was just stating my belief that Miyazaki's films, great and amazing as they are, will be mired in obscurity because of people's perceptions of what animated films are and should be. I never implied that this was a kids movie not in the least. Spirited Away was playing at my school for 2 dollars as well--and the room was packed--but these are college students and they are more open to anime films in general.

You are correct in saying that the corporations dictate what we get to see--if they believe we want the same ol' crap they'll give it to us. Oscar is a step in the right direction and I hope that America proves me wrong but the lowest common denominator almost always wins.

9. Yea... I gotta admit I edited that post like six times so it seems a bit scattered... anyway... I dont agree with you. It is my belief that "adult" animated films, anime or not, will start to gain in viewership over the years. It will take movies like Spirited Away, and it wont be a very quick process, but, hey, all we need is another phenomenon like CTHD. Like I said, CTHD proved a lot of film snobs (not saying you) wrong - Americans will see subtitled movies in the theater, and will enjoy them.

Blockbuster is now selling/renting out DVDs that say stuff like "FULL SCREEN - NO MORE BLACK BARS ON TOP AND BOTTOM". This is, to me, Blockbuster simply catering to the LCD without bothering to attempt to inform their customers that pan&scan is an inferior way to watch a movie. This is NOT because the American public is too fucking clueless to be able to process the word "widescreen".

This should go a long way into telling you what the movie industry thinks about its customers. But this just isn't the case - EVERYBODY I know, as soon as they learned about what was REALLY going on in pan&scan, realized they'd rather watch the movie in widescreen.

Same thing with all this junk - if the big movie companies dont think we want them, then we wont get them at all and they will never get their shot.

10. When during the show did they give out the best animated feature award? I missed it