Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious computer trouble, need help...

Serious computer trouble, need help...

I'm running on a Windows XP and I downloaded a picture that wont let me open it and I can't delete it or move it at all. I've tried deleting the folder it was in only to get the message:

Cannot delete FILE.BMP: Cannot find the specified file.
    Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

How on Earth do I get rid of this damn thing? It's not only infuriating me but whatever it did is slowing my computer down.

2. its a pain in the ass, that means that some program is using it so figure out what prog it is then turn that prog off and it should delete it.
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

Stopped everything and disabled all the programs, I even tried to uninstall KaZaA (which I downloaded it on), but still to no avail. Any other suggestions?

4. Well, if all else fails you can always format you hard drive

But seriously, can't think of anything else. Are you sure you've closed everything that could possibly be running that file? Also, you may want to consider the file might have a virus associated with it, run a virus scan if you have the proper software, you never know.
    omg TNL epics!

Tried the Norton AntiVirus program, no luck. I want to reformat the hard drive as an absolute last resort. I want everyone's suggestions before I do something that drastic.

Did you make sure you virus definitions were updated first? Other than that I don't know for now.
    Taking it one day at a time.

Ah well. I'm just going to work around it, since its not slowing up my computer anymore. Thanks for all the help guys.

You could always make a dos bootdisk, not sure if XP can make one or not, if it can't just go to www.bootdisk.com

Use the disk to boot (which is using DOS) and since you're in DOS, nothing is using the .bmp file so you should be able to delete it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. Are you sure it's an Image file and not some kind of Netbust program names .BMP? I mean, did you right click to save an image, or was it D/Led? No matter the size of a BMP, it should never be enough to cause you problems. Check your resourses and all applications running - If I remember correctly, there should be a app tree showing whats dependant on what. Stop everything that is unfamiliar to you. Afterwards, delete the ".BMP"... or this is something else entirely :/

ºTracer
    o_O

10. Assuming you have tried solving the problem by turning off your computer, waiting fifteen seconds, then turning it on, I would suggest temporarily disabling the Recycle Bin, then trying to delete the file.

If that fails, DOS is your best bet.