Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RahXephon, opinions?

1. To me, RahXephon feels like a parallel series to Evangelion (including End, for the sake of discussion). It has a ton of elements that remind me of Eva, but the main difference between the two is that while Eva is nihilistic and populated with characters that all have some kind of psychosis, RX's characters are all generally likable, well-adjusted, and assertive. The best illustration of the contrast is the difference between Shinji and Ayato. Shinji is a whiny, pathetic dork who runs away and pities himself when the world needs him most, while Ayato knows what he wants out of life (to protect the people around him) and he knows how to do it.

I think this difference reflects itself in the quality of either show as well. Eva has some incredibly intense moments (some of the most intense scenes I've ever seen), but as a whole it's kind of sloppy and uneven. RahXephon tells its story better than Eva does, despite some similar themes, and has a much more optomistic outlook on its events and on life in general.

I really enjoyed Eva back when I first watched it (which was when I was depressed most of the time), and its mecha battles are still unmatched, but I think I enjoy RahXephon as a whole much more now.

2. www.animeondvd.com has a good review of this, the spoiler part of the review is even clearly marked so you can avoid it. I'm not getting this series myself simply because I have too much other anime that comes before it, but it sounds very well done.

The best mecha battles ever belong to Shin Getter Robo though.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. Originally posted by solidus
    Seen the first five.

It may look like Eva, but the story is fairly complex and original. (Atleast to my knowledge)

Also, the main character is not nearly as annoying as Shinji. He's actually pretty cool with the ladies.
    Yeah, I finished the first five and I complately agree.

Oh, and, gotta love Quon (sp?) so far
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

4. Originally posted by 88mph
    Better idea. Buy the DVD with the box, wait until the last DVD is released, and sell the box on Ebay.

You'll make nice money.
    really? i hadnt thought of that... perhaps i will try this thing.

you have evidence of such things? with other box sets?

5. Originally posted by Ammadeau

The best mecha battles ever belong to Shin Getter Robo though.
    The battles in that show are completely nuts - totally awesome stuff.
    Getter Robo Armageddon (as it is called in the US) Power Pack, $35, you know you all want it.

6. i made a big post on this which got lost

anyway, i finished up the series today. I liked it, although it was very confusing at some points. Comparisons to eva are inevitable, but it does manage to differentiate itself, mostly throughout the middle episodes. The end is very eva. Overall the show is definatly not as deeply thought out as Eva is. I have a feeling repeat viewings would not clear much up, whereas eva can be made sense of.

Anyone else seen the whole thing and want to clear some stuff up?

7. Seen the first two DVDs, love it, recommend it.