Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla

1. Godzilla

So, tell me. How are the new crop of Godzilla movies?
    my experiences include Godzilla (with Raymond Burr? BW), Godzilla vs. King Kong, Godzilla 1985, and some movie where he fights mothra and King Gidera. All these have been seen when i was quite young mind you, but my memory serves me well on them. Now there are a new crop of movies out i think, of course the Matthew Broderick atrocity (or so i hear), that and the Godzilla 2000 movies seem to have been received in a luke warm manner. I THINK the one i hear that is quite good is Godzilla GMK, but i cant be sure. Tell me of the good ones.

edit: apparently the movie is just called GMK, the xtra Godzilla i added being redundant.

2. The Matthew Broderick one sucks to high heaven, and not even in a fun campy way. Steer clear of it.

3. odd, i didnt even know, though looking at it, it seems so obvious now. the version that Raymond Burr was in, is a re-edited version of the 1954 Japanese original. References to the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki removed from the movie, as well as the firebombing of Tokyo. STILL isnt released in America, either.

4. Originally posted by Freeter
    The Matthew Broderick one sucks to high heaven, and not even in a fun campy way. Steer clear of it.
    I completely agree. Definitely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The only movie I have seen in theaters where I debated walking out.

5. The Matthew Broderick one was a great movie!

It was sooooo bad it was the first movie all my friends and me could have a spirited discussion of how bad the movie sucked without anyone disagreeing! We've never had so much fun making fun of a movie ever!

It's just one of those movies that is so bad you don't come out thinking "Bleh" or "What a waste of money".... you come out thinking "Did I REALLY just watch that ?"

6. The new Godzilla was fucking terrible, but I agree with negitoro... it's definitely a "so bad its good" type of film... from the awful acting and script, to the shitty CG (it was so rainy in that movie to cover up the flaws in the CG!) to the fucking obvious ripoffs of movies like Jurassic Park... it was fucking hilarious.

As for a remake that is... "so bad it makes me want to puke"... Planet of the Apes... god Tim Burton fucked that up, what was he thinking?

7. You know, I was just thinking the other day....weren't they talking about turning the new Godzilla into a franchise?

8. well GMK is easily availble at $14.99 from pokerindustries.com. and the american cut of the first movie is easily available. The first one (1954 japanese version) is NOT so easily available. $49.99 from http://www.cdjapan.co.jp, damn.

well thanks for the impressions, it looked like the Brodercik one was horrid back then anyway. now about the new Japanese ones...

9. I thought Godzilla 2000 was on par with all of the "old skool" Godzilla movies (Megalon, Smog Monster, Mothra, etc...) and definitely worth pursuing.

(Godzilla 2000 is NOT the Mathew Broderick one which is a travesty of a remake that was only surpassed by the Planet of the Apes remake. THAT remains the worst remake of all time, IMHO)