Thread: "The Game"

1. "The Game"

Well, tonight my girlfriend and I just decided to cruise around, get lost, and see where we turned up. I love doing that, as you never know what cool little park, bar, resturant or video game store you might stumble across. Luckily, we didn't actually get lost, but we did stumble across an interesting little place in Smithtown called "The Game", which was a weird yet cool little twist on the old acrade formula. At first I just thought it was a kid's party place, but they I noticed the "16 Player Halo" sign, so I knew I had to check it out.

It has an interesting concept: the place has around 20 57 inch Sony widescreen HDTVs set up, each with a couch in front of it. Also, each TV has an Xbox, a Gamecube, and a Dreamcast set up in a shelf unit next to it, in addition to a switch box. How it works is simple: you buy time on the TV, and you and your friends could play whatever games they had in stock until your time was up. On the side of the store were several racks filled with games for you to choose from, and they had a pretty good selection. Oddly enough, though, they didn't have any PS2s set up. I was going to ask about it but then I noticed a disclaimer hung up on the wall where they said that "a certain hardware console manufacturer" was not allowing them to use their system, for whatever reason. Weird that Sony would do that, though I can't think of what solid, legal reason they could have to stop this place from setting up PS2s in there.

Anyway, of course there were snacks and stuff being sold as well (the place had a strong popcorn smell when you first walked in- whew!), but the main attraction was the games, of course. My girlfriend and I wanted to try the place out, but we were starving at that point, so we hit a nearby Italian place first since The Game was open until Midnight. By the time we got back, every TV was full and the wait list was an hour long. My girlfriend was pretty dissapointed, since she was hoping to get a game of Mario Party 4 going. Still, we weren't going to wait an hour, so we just wandered around, checking out what games people were playing. Lots of Halo multiplayer, one or two games of Tao Feng going (and it looked as bad as I've heard), and so on. Not one Dreamcast game was being played. Then we split, but my gf was now in the mood for Mario Party 4, so we rented it on the way home, and then hit Best Buy so she could pick up an extra GC controller (she also picked up the Greatest Hits version of Silent Hill 2 for her PS2- HEY! I didn't know that the GH version had all the Xbox extras in it! ). I owned her ass at Mario Party afterwards.

So, what do you guys think of this setup? With arcades slowly dying, is this the next step, or just a curious little distraction? It looked like a fun place to go to with some friends, I mean the 57" HDTVs were SWEET. I must own one someday...

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. When Gamefan Magazine was still around, they had gaming stores called Die Hard Gameclub. You could go in there and rent an hour of time to play import games on Saturn and PSX. I thought the idea was pretty cool, but I never took advantage of it.

In a Dallas/Ft.Worth area town called Hurst, I noticed a place called Online Gaming Cafe. They had a sign for Halo 16 player and other online gaming rentals. Sounded like a great idea, but I did'nt have the time to check it out.

3. Sounds like quite a cool place.

So how far did you have to wander to stumble upon this gem?
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

4. Originally posted by OmniGear
    Sounds like quite a cool place.

So how far did you have to wander to stumble upon this gem?
    Um...damn, we drove all over the place tonight. I'd say the place is about 20-25 miles or so from my house. Not too far, it was just in an area I'd never been in before.

Originally posted by gamevet
    When Gamefan Magazine was still around, they had gaming stores called Die Hard Gameclub. You could go in there and rent an hour of time to play import games on Saturn and PSX. I thought the idea was pretty cool, but I never took advantage of it.
    I remember that, there was a Die Hard Gameclub in Manhasset, NY, not too far from me. Not the same setup as The Game, however (you had to stand in a small, dark room). Still, a cool concept that, like you, I never too advantage of.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Sounds pretty dope. Down in SoCal, PacMann's arcade setup a LAN center and aparantly that worked out pretty good. It would be nice if SVGL did that since whenever I go there, most of my friends end up wanted to go to a LAN center. Then of course, SVGL being in Sunnyvale, the heart of the Silicon Valley is flooded with LAN centers so I guess that wouldn't be too smart.

I don't remember the GameFan centers Was that all there was to it? Playing imports?
    Play Guitar Hero //

Some of the local rental shops do that around here, but very rarely do anyone (other than friends of the employees) ever play them. Then again, they don't have them hooked up to a 57" widescreen HDTV either.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

7. There's a mom and pop shop in my town that buys/sells/rents games and DVDs, and they have just one of those big-tv-consoles-couch setup. There's always just a few people in the store either playing something new or doing the gaming talk thing. It's always a good place to go hang out to cure boredom.

8. there's a store in my mall that's like 32 computers hooked up for LAN games, but there's only ever like 3 people in there. This just isn't the area to do that. If you play games, you play them at your house.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

9. Originally posted by Sl1p
    I don't remember the GameFan centers Was that all there was to it? Playing imports?
    No, they sold and rented domestic and import games, as well as toys, accessories, magazines, etc. They were cool stores, I was sad to see them go.

10. I had something like that place about 50ml from home which was good for giving time on computers and game systems. It had about a mix of everything including some arcades like alien vs predator and xmen vs streetfighter, plus a few pool tables and some air hockey. If the owner wasn't so stupid to sell it to someone, he likely would have had some crazy SF tournaments going on because he was good for collecting cap and snk titles. (he had a deal package with neogeo avs offer with a couple games running at $800 awhile back)
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...