Thread: Wanted: Modded Dreamcast

1. Wanted: Modded Dreamcast

Well, after waiting two weeks for my KOF 2002, it finally arrived today. Hooked it up to my monitor and commenced to getting my ass whipped.

Along comes my lovely, darling 2-year old daughter, wanting to join Daddy in a gaming session. But, since my daughter is not concerned with such things as caution with wires, she blatantly stepped on the controller plug while I was playing.

Suddenly, the game stopped, and Japanese text appeared onscreen, alerting me that there was no controller in Port 1.

Long story short, my DC no longer recognizes ANY of the controller ports. I've tried with 3 different controllers in all 4 ports and the system still won't read any controller input. You can't possibly know my anger right now.

I need a new (used) modded DC. If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: On second thought, I just need a new DC period. I can play imports via Gameshark CDX. If anyone has a good price on a working DC, please let me know.

2. Might be easier to replace the ports with parts from another DC. I'm not sure how difficult that would be, but I've heard of people doing it.

3. just replace the controller port on your dc, dude. You can get the part from radioshack. As to what the part looks like, I don't really know. lol. Try asking vinnyman on srk.
    "be water my friend"bruce lee

I feel your pain, man. I was in the same situation about a year and a half ago, and in denial, I got rid of my DC after NCS not getting replacement ports in for a month, and then finally taking it off of their stock list. By this time, I had already made a few desperate decisions in the past (traded my Samba and Sega maracas to a friend for a NGPC and 7 or so games) that I really regretted, so I wanted the DC to no longer be a part of my life. The DC is still in its box, broken...

5. Originally posted by DreadedFist
    just replace the controller port on your dc, dude. You can get the part from radioshack. As to what the part looks like, I don't really know. lol. Try asking vinnyman on srk.
    I really suck at all things mechanical, but this sounds like an easy enough process. Radio Shack carries parts for DC?

Er.. what's srk? If it's some kind of ftp or mIRC, I'm S.O.L., as I'm completely illiterate on how to use those things.

Tones, I'm feeling the way you were feeling. I feel like, if I can't enjoy my DC, then I don't want it anymore, along with the 100+ store-bought, original games I have for it, 85% of them imports. Like yours, mine is packed away in the box, broken.

I'm having really bad luck with consoles. Just recently, the motor on my JPN Saturn died, but I managed to get a domestic Saturn at a decent price rather quickly.

Anybody else know how to replace DC controller ports, or know where I can buy the ports separately?

6. I might be willing to either buy your damaged unit or sell you mine. I have a bad drive.

I assume replacing the controller port is as simple as opening the case, detaching the broken port, attaching a working one, and putting it together.

Originally posted by Tones
    I feel your pain, man. I was in the same situation about a year and a half ago, and in denial, I got rid of my DC after NCS not getting replacement ports in for a month, and then finally taking it off of their stock list. By this time, I had already made a few desperate decisions in the past (traded my Samba and Sega maracas to a friend for a NGPC and 7 or so games) that I really regretted, so I wanted the DC to no longer be a part of my life. The DC is still in its box, broken...
    Same goes for you, unless we have the same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

7. Originally posted by burgundy
    I might be willing to either buy your damaged unit or sell you mine. I have a bad drive.
    Sounds good to me. How much are you looking to get for it?

I assume replacing the controller port is as simple as opening the case, detaching the broken port, attaching a working one, and putting it together.
    Opening up the case and looking at the ports, it looks rather simple. There is some wire placement connecting to the fan which may stump me, but I'll find someone who can handle that for me.

I've disassembled the DC completely (taken all boards out, etc.) and put it back together again from memory. It booted up, although I might have killed the internal battery. This is the easiest console ever to open up and take apart, and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever replacing it. If you don't know how to solder, just buy a used US DC since they're so cheap now, and replace the controller port board. There's a local place around me that sells used DC's for about $25-$30. I just looked at Gamestop/EB and they sell them there for like $40.

Burg, it would be nice if you could find them, but I haven't seen them anywhere.