Thread: Microsoft Slashes Price Tag for Euro Xbox

1. Microsoft Slashes Price Tag for Euro Xbox

Now, could we get some of that type of love stateside?

Already known to gamers throughout the net, Microsoft has announced that it has slashed the price for the Xbox in the European region, and by a third in Britain later this month - only just six weeks after its official launch.

The price tag has been reduced from 299 euros ($266) from 479 and in Britain to 199 pounds ($288) from 300 to boost what some industry observers are calling disappointing sales. (Hm...perhaps that's why we eventually saw the GBA drop here in the States?)

The new price will now match that of the PS2, currently holding the reigns as the market leading console in Europe.

"I would say it is the quickest price drop of any major console launch," said Stuart Dinsey, managing editor of "Games Trade Weekly MCV," a UK-based trade publication covering the video game industry.

"It's very brave to do this now," he added, "If they hadn't made the movement on price soon it would have become a disappointing launch."

Game publishers had been urging Microsoft to spur sales of the machine by cutting its prices in Europe, where it went on sale on March 14. The new prices will take effect on April 26.

Microsoft comes through again.

I think things should improve in Europe now.
    Taking it one day at a time.

3. Originally posted by Brotherman
    Microsoft comes through again.

I think things should improve in Europe now.
    I am shocked...I can't believe the guys in Europe are sticking their noses up at Xbox. Maybe it's cuz they only played Kabuki Warriors.

From what I've heard on the TeamXbox boards, it was doing good in the UK but not as good anywhere else, and most people that claimed to be from Europe said the price was the only hinderance. So if what I've been hearing is true, Europe should be happy now. I can't blame them for not jumping on the system though. I was annoyed when the PS2 upped the price standard for a successful console to $300. I definitely wouldn't want to pay over $400 for a console.
    Taking it one day at a time.