Thread: "Good" Break Ups...

1. "Good" Break Ups...

We've had threads where we got our hearts ripped out by psychotic partners and death left and right, we've had threads where we all gushed about the wonders of love... But I know I'm not the only one who has had something just end for one reason or another. If any of you have a story where circumstances beyond anyone's control (and that includes our friend The Reaper) caused something to end, let's hear it. I'll kick it off.

As a handful of you know, it's been one hell of a year for me. Lots of things have gone down, both good and bad, and at 6:30 this morning, one of those good things is gonna end.

After my breakup with my ex wife, the loss of my job, separation from my son by about 900 miles, etc. something good happened. A couple of things, really: a) I got over myself, and problems. I was in bad shape before my ex's rather screwed up exit, and she cleaned out my bank account, took off, took my son... Blah. It sucked. But I got better. Then this girl I've known for, oh... more than a decade. I'd say close to 15 years, even, she just kinda popped back into my life.

Now, I'm a loner by nature. I'm known to fade in and out of people's lives without much warning, but I'm the type who will always be there if I'm needed (and I hope a few of you know that)... Anyway, yes. Loner. Everyone I've ever been with has been ultra clingy, the ex included. When you're the type who needs time alone on a regular basis (not time with other people, just time alone or even flying solo with your kid) it just doesn't mix. This one was different, though... And I didn't even start taking it seriously until just before I found out she was leaving.

Ya see, she got into a bit of trouble that I won't go into, and, despite her being of age, her mother presured her until she agreed to move back to RI to live with her. Really, there was nothing I could say - It's the absolute best thing she could do, as everyone she calls a friend (sans myself, I've calmed down quite a bit with fatherhood and all) does nothing but help her get into trouble. She needs to straighten out, stay out of trouble and finish school and all that, and I know she won't do it on her own. So, unlike everyone else she calls a friend, I've gone out of my way to be supportive rather than lash about how she's "bowing down" to her mother when she "doesn't have to."

During everything that happened, going to pick up my son in New York from ex, taking him back, preparing for my move there... All of it... She's done nothing but stick by me when needed, and leave me be when I needed that, so now I've to do the same thing.

Oddly enough, since I'm moving in June to New York and the part of NY I'll be in is only a couple of hours away, you never know. It just, well, sucks that it all happened right when things were starting to click, and my clueless ass was starting to appreciate her... But that's how it always goes, I guess.

In the end, we'll see what happens. The odd coincidence that we'll be MUCH closer than we would have been had I been the only one to move gives me a bit of hope. I'm not looking to get married again or anything (not for a LONG time), but she's someone I'd like to get to know a lot better, and spend a lot more time with... And, you know, she loves my son and he loves her. It's rather nice.

We'll see.
    So I forced my hands in my pockets and felt with my thumbs and gallantly handed her my very last piece of gum.

2. Re: "Good" Break Ups...

Originally posted by Orochi
    but I'm the type who will always be there if I'm needed (and I hope a few of you know that)...
    Uh-huh...

3. So you know someone from Rhode Island? Cool. If she's going back to school, which one? Maybe I might even see her around.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.