Thread: High-res GIF images

1. High-res GIF images

I'd really like to know. I'd like to make a nice image that's well under 50K...

Thanks in advance.

2. If in Photoshop, i don't think it's any more complicated than changing your image mode settings to Indexed Color. Take this former JPEG for example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88ninja2 copy.gif 
Views:	249 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	788  
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Just start reducing the color palette and crank up the dithering.

4. In regards to what? A standard .gif or an animated .gif?

If it's the former then, there's not a lot that can be done. If it's large in dimension and has a large pallete, it's gonna be a large bitmap. Such a case is when you go to .jpeg.

Jpegs as a general rule should be used for larger size pictures, larger than say 300x300 pix, with a good amount of color.

Gifs are really good for smaller sizes and less color.

So while a desktop wallpaper would be, say 500kb as a .gif it'd be only 100k or less as a .jpeg.

A small icon that is 2kb as a .jpeg could come in at a few hundred BYTES as a gif.

They're semi-specialized for thier purposes. You can dither and drop the color pallete, but at the end of the day it's still gonna be bigger.

If you're talking about an animated gif then, ditch keyframes. Have as few as you possibly can, as small as you can (even losing something as small as 5 pixels is helpful. Remember, each frame must be loaded, so if you trim off 5 pixels from a 15 fram animation, you just killed 75 pixels total).

Can you give a better example of what you're trying to accomplish and, for the sake of argument, why? (specifically, if it's not animated then why does it have to be a gif).

5. Just post the image as a JPEG and I'm sure someone can switch it for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Oh yeah, it was mainly for still GIFs, but I could do that for animated files too.

Thanks a bunch.