Thread: Classic 70's Anime

1. Classic 70's Anime

I must say, I'm a sucker for a good classic super robot show. I've been going on a mad buying spree and wanted to know some others' opinions on some of the anime from the 70's. I'll give a list of what I bought and maybe I can get some suggestions or get some discussions going.

Gr(a/e)ndizer
    Getter Robo
    Mazinger
    Space Pirate Captain Harlock
    Solar Fang Dougram
    Cyborg Senshi 009
    Koutetsu Jeeg
    Voltes V
    Toshiro Daimos
    Galaxy Express 999
    Space Battleship Yamato

Let me know if you've seen any of these. Or if I should buy them in HK DVD Sets (how the subs are, etc...). Also, one specific question: Has anyone here bought the HK DVD Box for Getter Robo? I've heard that the subs are pretty good, and I wanted to see which box it was because there seems to be two circulating around E-Bay.

-PSYNT
    Blame this on the misfortune of your birth.
    "Your momma's whack, your granny's whack, I keep a handi-wipe in my fanny-pack."
    http://www.sitemouse.com/users/kntain/rollykamiya.jpg
    The thrills of everyday life never cease to amaze me.

2. I've seen both Galaxy Express 999 movies and love them, but never the rest of that.
    ...not that I don't want to. Hell, I'd LOVE to see those old robot shows. You say there are subbed HK box sets? Gonna have to look out for those. I need some Getter Robo action to go with my GR Armageddon box... I don't even know why no American company picked them up yet. Mazinger and Getter Robo are pretty damn classic stuff, too.

3. Yeah, I just ordered the Getter Robo TV Series Box Set for $30.00. HK DVDs are a killer deal, I've also heard that the subs on the Getter Robo box are much better than the Mazinger and they're very good english for an HK Box. I've also found the entire Space Pirate Captain Harlock series on fansubbed VHS tapes copied video straight from the laser discs. I really love Leiji Matsumoto's work. Hey, if you're interested maybe I could make you some copies of my VCD sets for Koutetsu Jeeg, Voltes V and Daimos, they aren't perfect quality, but they're definitely watchable.

-PSYNT
    Blame this on the misfortune of your birth.
    "Your momma's whack, your granny's whack, I keep a handi-wipe in my fanny-pack."
    http://www.sitemouse.com/users/kntain/rollykamiya.jpg
    The thrills of everyday life never cease to amaze me.

4. Well Galaxy, Yamato and Harlock are all from the same artist. I like those ones but I can't say I've seen the others.

5. Anything Harlock is inherently good.

Also if you're into the 70's thing add Saint Seiya to that list.

6. I have seen:

Mazinger
    Space Pirate Captain Harlock
    Voltes V
    Galaxy Express 999
    Space Battleship Yamato

Galaxy Express, Harlock, and Yamato are considered classics and rightfully so--they help to establish the anime archtypes (and cliches) we enjoy today. Epic space operas and such. Harlock is a cool character but I like the group of Yamato a bit more.

The oldschool artystyle/animation may turn people off though. Voltes V and Mazinger are giant robot shows (I had the Voltes V diecast metal toy) and I enjoyed Voltes V's vehicles and weapons more than Voltron (Go Lion).