Thread: Below

1. Below

At the rental store over the weekend, this new direct-to-video title (I assume as much, as I don't remember a theatrical release) caught my attention, mostly because it was directed by David Twohy (Pitch Black).

I was also intrigued because Below was co-written and co-produced by Darren Aronofksy. Sorry if a thread was listed before - I couldn't find one.

I don't want to give too much away, as the plot's one of the strong points, but it's set in a WW2 submarine that picks up some shipwrecked survivors, and strange things start to happen. I will say that it's set firmly in sci-fi/Twilight Zone/X-Files territory, and that the characters are more developed than most SF work these days.

My impressions of it were pretty good. It stars Bruce Greenwood and a bunch of people who've had bit parts in other films (a guy from Alien 3, the Ripper's driver in From Hell, Donnie Pfaster from the X-Files, the doctor from Fifth Element). The acting was well-done overall.

The best part was Twohy's direction. The quality wasn't low-budget at all - probably because almost the entire film is set in the sub - and all the lighting and camera-work is very very well-done. There are some wonderfully tense moments in the sub's narrow passages (and the exterior).

I'd definitely recommend it. After watching it, I was surprised it never hit theaters - it was a high-quality, well-executed, involving film, especially for the genre it's a part of.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

2. Bio, It was in VERY limited theatrical release last Fall. Miramax treated it like shit(same as with poor Equilibrium).

I'm very interested in seeing this film, so thanks for your impressions, and reminder for me to watch it