Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasarki

Deus13 Guest

Gasarki

I was curious as to you peoples' thoughts on this series. I have the first DVD, unfortunately I haven't had the time to watch it. I just wanna know if I'm dipping my head in acid or not.

Is it worth it?

Just curious, thanks for any feed back.

2. As far as I know, only 2 other people on this boardhave watched all of Gasaraki (and one no longer posts here...for very good reasons).
    <back on topic>
    I enjoyed Gasaraki very much. But overall I think it could've been a lot better. The creator was obviously influenced by Evangelion (who isn't?) and ther were some really cool aspects of the show that werent exploited nearly enough (the feudal Japan parts were outstanding...I wish someone would make a whole show like that!!). Its very slow paced,technical and political (more then Gundam could ever be). And if it was'nt for the last disc (which most loved...but I didnt) i'd give Gasaraki a B+ instead of a C.

vlv

3. "for very good reasons"...hey, I hope he's OK, lee?

(on topic)

As the other person (at least I think you were referring to me, lv), I love Gasaraki. It's a gritty, blue-collar series thick with supernaturalistic overtones and a somewhat original slant to mecha combat. It's definitely derivative, but it combines several genres in an intriguing and masterful way.

I do disagree with lee about the ending, though: I thought the end ties everything together very well. Too well? Perhaps, but at least it wasn't a bizarre, open-ended, Eva-type ending. (I should point out I've not seen either Eva movie as of yet).

I'd definitely call Gasaraki a love-it-or-hate-it anime. If you get into the plot during the first disc, you'll dig the rest, as the series stays consistent and doesn't stray into left field.

I'd give it an A-. I agree wholeheartedly with lee that there were a couple ideas that needed more fleshing out, and there were a couple of superfluous episodes dropped in the middle of the seriess, but beyond that, Gasaraki is a top-quality anime, both in terms of technical proficiency and content. I highly recommend it, but only if you dig the first disc.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

4. Come on BioMech

You know im talkin bout you...as far as D goes...I think the main reason hes not here (besides personal stuff...work, his engagement) is cuz its lost "that feeling". Its just not the same.

<back on topic...again>

Everything was cleaned up a little too well at the "End of Gasaraki" <all pun intended>. As I said before, if it wasnt for the ending id give it a solid B. And I do agree with Bio, if you enjoy the first you'll more then likely enjoy the rest...though most other sites hve stated the opposite (ie: dont judge the series by the first disc)..who knows.

vlv

Deus13 Guest
    Alright thanks for the responses.

I will have to watch the DVD this weekend. Then I'll see how I'm gonna progress.

6. Well, I know all about losing "that feeling"....as I get older & busier, I have less & less time, which is sad but a necessary fact of life. I miss that guy...*sniff*...

To agree again, the end did seem a little forced, and perhaps a little rushed - all the more confusing because, as I mentioned, there were a couple of super-slow eps in the middle.

Don't judge the series by the first disc...? I'd agree in most cases, but Gasaraki seems to be an exception...it doesn't take a weird turn in the middle (like Trigun did), and stays pretty consistent throughout. Until the ending, that is.

7. I've been planning on buying all the gasaraki dvds but I'm not to sure if there is a box set comming out. Does anyone know?

8. Still in the shadows

You guys are too kind. Believe me when I say I still visit this site to see what you guys have to say about everything and anything. Your opinions mean that much to me, I just haven't seen too much anime lately since my fiance and I just bought a new car which puts a good dent in my anime wallet. I've been itching to see something new though and I was thinking of getting Spriggan but theres really so much stuff to get. My official wish list

- Anything and everything Kenshin
    - Yu Yu Hakusho
    - Soul Taker
    - Soul Hunter
    - Spriggan
    - Metropolis
    - Golden Boy <- I really want this one bad
    - Berserk <- this one too
    - Now and Then, Here and There
    - Blue Gender
    - Bebop Movie
    - Escaflowne Movie

And anything else I'm forgetting to mention. Anyways, if you guys have any recommendations I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I can only afford one once in a while

I still plan on having discussions with you guys wether we use this board or thru email I don't care but its gonna happen wether you like or not.

Take care Brothers,
    D

PS To the original poster, I loved Gasaraki but I don't think that will mean much to you so if you trust either of my brothers opinions (you better) than you should listen to them whole heartedly. It's truly a show that got overlooked.

9. D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you, my friend! Not quite the same without ya...as you recall I had to bail on the site before, but despite my feelings about the gaming industry, and my super-picky nature when it comes to anime, I missed the people. I did my share of lurking too, and then realized it wasn't the same...glad to know you're doing well. Be seeing you, definitely!

You seen Jin Roh? I heard it's great, but haven't gotten to it myself (no surprise there).

(back to topic again!)

Zero: A boxed set? I haven't heard of one...I kinda doubt it, as the series didn't sell that well. But you never know, right?

10. $100 for the Gasaraki box set... sooooooo tempting. I'm assuming that I will like the show (it sounds damn cool!), and if not I can always sell the box set on eBay... hrmmm... guess I should make a decision soon...

- Kabuki