Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTS

1. RTS

For as long as I can remember, I have not been a fan of RTS'. Admittedly, i have only played them a few times, but i didn't really enjoy them at all.

On the weekend, I saw one of my friends playing some Supreme Commander online, and watching him nuke the shit out of a guy who was trying to ally with him and the consequent nerd rage piqued my interest. The problem is that all of my friends that play these games play them at a hardcore level, so playing with them is retarded, especially since I have no grasp of what i should be doing at any given time.

Basically, how do you think I should approach this genre? I have a PC that can run pretty much anything, where do you suggest I start? What are some of the simpler RTS' that can teach me the fundamentals? I'm sure there are a few RTS nuts here who can help a brother out.

2. You probably should start with command and conquer and go from there.

3. WarCraft III would be a great start. Blizzard provides the most user-friendly experience you're going to find, and the game itself is excellent. It'll really prepare you more for the micro-management style of RTS gameplay than traditional macro-style play (ala StarCraft, C&C), though. That isn't necessarily a bad thing considering it seems to be the trend with RTS play now days. Company of Heroes is another great choice in this vein.

On the other hand, if you'd rather get into the more old school-style, "amass large quantities of shit and throw it at eachother" macro-level play, the upcoming Red Alert 3 will probably be your best bet. Or if you can't wait for that, C&C3 and Generals are both great.

Supreme Commander is a very, very bad choice for a beginner to the genre.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

Play old ones.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. Arjue, I want the same thing. I only really played the Starcraft and Warcraft 3 single player campaign; the only other time I've played against people in these games was against fucking hardcore people from Clan Love and IRL friends.

WE SHOULD PLAY!!! Do you still have my phone no from Big Day Out?
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. I've played nearly every major RTS from the last, what, 10 years? And I'm still absolutely terrible at them. Multiplayer is just too different from single player for me to get into it without putting in weeks of practice.

7. Warcraft III to start and Company of Heros for the new hotness. CoH changes the old "mine money" mold with owning territory. It's a really incredible game. Came out in 2004 and it still looks fantastic as well.

8. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    I've played nearly every major RTS from the last, what, 10 years? And I'm still absolutely terrible at them. Multiplayer is just too different from single player for me to get into it without putting in weeks of practice.
    I'm right with ya. I absolutely love playing them for the single player experience but I'm so horrible at multi-player I don't even try anymore unless it's with someone who I know is right about at my level.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

9. Play Starcraft and then brood expansion.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    WarCraft III would be a great start. Blizzard provides the most user-friendly experience you're going to find, and the game itself is excellent. It'll really prepare you more for the micro-management style of RTS gameplay than traditional macro-style play (ala StarCraft, C&C), though. That isn't necessarily a bad thing considering it seems to be the trend with RTS play now days. Company of Heroes is another great choice in this vein.
    Agreed. I'd also recommend Dawn of War Platinum Edition; it's a lot of fun as well. CoH and WC3 are really the top of the pile in terms of interface quality and learning curve.

Don't play Supreme Commander. It sucks ass.

Anyone wants to play WC3, let me know.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood