Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need to dump winME

1. need to dump winME

I got this computer over a year ago and it had windows ME installed with a backup disk, but I really find that it sucks for games and need to get the format program to work since the M&F'er won't let me downgrade to 98... I could really use help with this.
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...

2. Just run FDISK in DOS.

Boom! WinME gone!

3. FDISK everyones favorite tool
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

Ask someone for a windows 98 boot disk. That should do the trick.
    Taking it one day at a time.

5. Get Windows 2000 Pro. I've had it for about six months and I think my computer has only crashed once.
    WinME is definitely the worst, but on the plus side, it boots up pretty fast.
    "Mother, this is your son, Roger Thornhill...No, no, Mother. I have not been drinking. No, no. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."

Well, if he wants to play DOS games, he definitely wants to go with Win 98 or Win 98 SE. ME is probably the worst Microsoft OS ever. XP, 2000, and NT are good for stability though, but almost any Microsoft OS would be better than ME.
    Taking it one day at a time.

7. I recommend this.

Get Disk Druid on Disk. It's a Linux Partitioning Program, you don't need Linux to use it though. Just find one of the many distrobutions of Linux in a Maximum Linux Magazine or something like that. I'm sure it can be downloaded. I recommed this because I like partitioning HDDs with Disk Druid MUCH more than with DOS. Set aside just enough room to install DOS on to your hard disk and leave the remainfing as a FAT32 (I don't know if NTFS is an option, but Fat is good too) Partition. After that, Install LILO or some other Boot Loader. Then it's off to install Win 2K professional. It's better than anything IMO

That way, if you wish to play DOS games, you may so so and you'll be without the handicaps inflicted by haveing a DOS rooted OS. If That's too complex - FDISK, Install 98 and a Boot Loader, and 2K Pro after that. That way you have both and the 2 versions play well together. Actually, I recommend installing 2K first.

Final option is a DOS imulator. FreeDOS is ok.

ºTracer
    o_O

8. I can Email you a Win98 Boot Disk.

I can also send you Disk Druid.

ºTracer
    o_O

9. create a boot disk...

put in the boot disk and restart the computer...
    delete the partion of the hard drive with WinME
    create a new partion.
    restart computer w/ Win98 in cd-drive
    choose to start computer with cd-rom support
    and the rest should be a walk-through

enjoy
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time

10. bah. screw 98. get 2000 or even XP.

should do you good.