Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of Betterman

1. End of Betterman

I just watched the end to this anime series and I have to say I'm dissapointed. I actually started to get dissapointed about halfway through the series, but I was holding out for an incredible ending and... well, there's not much I can say without spoilers.

The one thing I can say though is the big mystery of what is behind Algernon could not possibly be solved by the viewer. They only give you the information you needed so you could have figured it out right before they explain it, which strikes me as cheating because much of the information could have been told before, but was withheld obviously to keep the viewer from guessing.

There are also a couple things in the ending that aren't explained at all, though the other bigger mysteries are cleared up, though thier explinations are also dissapointments, more or less.

Bah. It's like they originally planned it to be a 13 episode series and had to expand it on the fly or something. It's all a big jumble when they rush to close the loose ends, making it less than satisfying. I also have a feeling it's illogical and doesn't jive with the start of the series, but I'd have to rewatch it to be sure.

Almost forgot the most annoying thing of introducing new plot points (and a lot of them) in the final episodes, which either are thing we should have known long before then or ones that contradict things in earlier episodes. For example:

*Spoiler that has absolutely nothing to do with the ending.*
    Akimatsu is Sakura's father. Why the hell is this kept a secret through 24 episodes? It's just baffling.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. Didn't read your post yet, because I still have DVDs 5 and 6 to watch. I'll stop by when I finish the series

3. Actually, you should stop watching where you are now and cherish the memories of Betterman you have before they're tarnished by the crapfest which is the ending.
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

4. Bah. I'm still on one.
    So... it gets bad? That sucks... I was really liking it, too.

5. Volume 6 is out already? That was quick...

So does anyone die?

6. Originally posted by Freeter
    Volume 6 is out already? That was quick...

So does anyone die?
    Yes to both.

I don't know how to do that hide text trick for spoilers, but let's just say I called the thread 'End of Betterman' for a reason.

Originally posted by ChaoofNee
    Bah. I'm still on one.
    So... it gets bad? That sucks... I was really liking it, too.
    Stick with it up to the third disc. Disc 3 is incredible from start to finish. There are some good moments on discs 4 and 5, but I think you're just better off skipping them. 6 has nothing good about it. Even the final battle was lame.

7. Originally posted by Ammadeau
    Yes to both.

I don't know how to do that hide text trick for spoilers, but let's just say I called the thread 'End of Betterman' for a reason.
    Like this: <spoiler> text </spoiler>

Replace the < > with [ ].

8. Had no idea it was that simple.

*spoilers*

Miyako is excuted by Chandi (and I have not idea why either) and then blown up by a super powerful orginization which is only mentioned first in ep 22.

The bubblehead pilot and her hunky boyfriend are killed by the bubblehead herself since she's infected with Algernon even though they said in a previous ep she could not be infected. Her unborn child survives though, even though that should have been impossible.

Akimatsu lives and Sakura might be alive as well, since he says 'she's sleeping' but he's a little crazed at the time. Her last line sounds like something someone would say before dying.

Hinoki and Keita survive only to succumb to Algernon even though it is well past the time when the purpose of Algernon is over. Betterman probably lives since he's the one who saved them and the whole human race is supposed to die if he doesn't survive anyway.

9. You're totally right, this ending really blows.

I forgot that bubblehead...er, Kaori was previously immune to Algernon. Seems like they just wanted to make a dramatic exit for those two.

As for green-haired girl, what was that baby thing that she was holding after the place got bombed?

And as for the end, maybe Keita and Hinoki weren't really infected by Algernon but laughing like idiots(since that's what they both are anyway).

They spent too much time yapping. Everyone needed a nice dose of STFU.

10. Told you so.

I've tried thinking of a worse way they could have ended the series, but I don't think that's possible. It overall feels like they didn't actually have an ending and struggled to tie the loose ends. The biggest offender is:

The woman living in Keita's head who was the person who found the link gell yet isn't so much as mentioned until the last episode. Also ignoring the fact that during the big fight at the BPL or whatever Keita clearly could not pilot the robot alone. Supposedly she was what he saw in the basement of the school, but if she were human why would she appear in the form of a Indian type deity. It was just plain stupid.

The baby I believe was Kaori's child and is going to be a new Betterman or something, but at that point who gives a damn.