Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom avatars

1. Custom avatars

I was wondering if custom avs really do have an effect on the server. I'm also asking this because some admin at some other forum said that they do (and thus won't allow it). Exactly how true is that?

Thank you.

2. We host all avatars on our server. The more files we host, the more space we need. In addition, if you are consistently loading pages with a lot of different avatars, you may use more bandwidth than if you had just a handful of images for everyone to share.

For example, say we had a board that served exactly 100 pages one particular day, and each page had posts from ten unique users. If we offered custom avatar uploads on that forum, we could end up transfering up to 1000 images, assuming everyone had a picture. On the other hand, if we restricted avatars to a selection of 50 images that people could choose among, even if each of the images was used by someone, we might get away with serving only 50 images, since most browsers cache files for a time. And no matter how many times an image is displayed on a page, it is downloaded only once, so if you have two or more users with the same avatar, that's as good as having one or more with no avatar.

If the other forum has very limited resources, the admins might understandably disallow custom avatars, but since almost all of them are small GIF or JPEG files, you'd have to be pretty hard-up. Suggest that they limit the file sizes to something agreeable and monitor their disk and bandwidth usage for a month to see how it works out.

3. Sounds good to me. Thanks.

I guess the 500 or so they already had uploaded could account for a lot.

4. Only 500? Pffft! Beginners.

I just checked our Web stats and damn if those little avatars don't add up to a nice chunk of bandwidth. (I blame Jeremy for changing avatars so frequently.)

I guess if the boards are extremely busy, it could be a factor.

(By the way, Jeremy, I was kidding. Rock on.)

5. *Rocks on

I'm keeping this puppy at least until June, gotta pimp RaH.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. Hehe, I mean it this time. Really. Honest. I actually want to keep this av to pimp the game more.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. You'll change it tomorrow, if not sooner.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Hey now, give me SOME credit. I did keep Master Loo for a whole week, before changing it to Ed from Cowboy Bebop for about a half hour, then changing it to this.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

9. Masters' is changing more than anyones. He changes it almost daily. Though I do dig his new Aphex Twin "Come to Daddy" avatar.