Thread: Some sketches.

1. Some sketches.

I don't usually sketch, so I thought I'd try and realized that some nice things can come of it. I am currently in to learning Maya and such, so I wanted character sketches to work from when modelling. I still have to do a backview for all the following character, then modelling will be hell as I suck right now.

Anyhow... they were all done in pen. No, not ink, just blue pen. I'm currently going to school for design and left my box full of tools (mat cutter, double sided tape, rubber cement, markers, and pencil with eraser) so it was the only option and it turned out well, I think.

I got three characters completed:

The Travelling Man - There's a tale behind him that I wrote up, basically he's a mystical being who fulfilled his purpose given to him by the gods. He completed his task and thus had no real purpose. So now he roams the planet, collecting items and such from the furthest reaches of the globe that has yet to be explored. (he can't die, so why not?)

http://www.joystickadventures.com/im...elling-Man.jpg

Byron - The helmet man (I haven't officially given him a name. I just call everybody I haven't given a name yet Byron... for some reason) He is actually a white mage, but refuses to respond to his white magic training at the White Magicians Training Facility. He always wanted to become a warrior and fight with the majority of his childhood friends instead of feigning back and casting upon them in battle.

So, one day he ran off from the school and opened up a mercenary shop in the underbelly of the city. Surprisingly he was successful, making bumblehead decisions that actually payed off. The group needed aid through the underground passage and sought his council, only to find a bumbling idiot.

Later in the story he realizes that his fate was to become a white mage and gives up his facade, becoming the strongest white mage to ever grace the planet, showing up his scrutinizing academy teachers.

http://www.joystickadventures.com/im...Helmet-Guy.jpg

Apollo - Apollo is a respected warrior of the time rebellion. His partner (haven't drawn yet, I figure he'll look a lot like Snake... but I don't know) Shears and him travel throughout time in order to find Pherum, the hero. They save him from peril circumstances in order to change their future from being conquered to being liberated. Apollo is the heavy weapons expert of the team, but takes orders from Shears. Skilled in stealth, munitions, and strategy, Apollo makes a powerhouse on any team.

He also uses unique technology which allows him to harness the power of electricity.

http://www.joystickadventures.com/im...nal/Apollo.jpg

If you want to attach the images, go nuts. But they're a little bit big so...
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Some self crtisism is that Apollos legs look too beefy. Perhaps I should make them more slender... if only I didn't do it in pen... but I could always just erase the legs and print it out again.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Nah, they look good. I can already tell what kind of little things would make your style. The beefiness is part of it.

If anything, the sketches look a bit stiff. You have a great eye for costume design (something I lack), but it feels like you're thinking about that first and form second? Maybe not, I'm not sure...but all I can recommend is to loosen up what you sketch, and then combined with your already-wonderful costumes would make for great pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

4. Thanks, I will try.

I am more of a conservative artist.

Are there any huge form issues? I'm going to try and make Apollo slimmer, he's supposed to be mobile. Travelling man looks like I want him (more of a sluggish warrior) and Byron is just byron. I'll probably try to do that to him also.

5. i cant put my finger on it, but there is just something about your art... its.....Something!!! i cant figure it out at all!! just something about it..
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

6. ummm... okay. Care to slim that down a bit, slugger?

7. I like him too, but I made his legs WAY too chunky. I think I'll print out a copy with the legs removed and redo it.