Thread: Reposting pictures

1. Reposting pictures

You can only attach a picture to a message once... when you try to attach the same picture to a different message you get an error saying that you cant do that. But you can't use the link from the old attachment in a different message (the [ img] tag just makes a link to that image). Is there any way to actually attach the same picture twice? It sure would be nice if there was, or if the fucking image tag would actually display the image instead of just a link to it.

The image tag doesnt display an image, the ignore command doesnt ignore... hmm what is next on the "broken board feature" list?

2. The reason the image tag only shows a link to said image is because there's an option turned on that disallows dynamic url linking via that tag to help defer any kind of exploits. So you're pretty much outta luck if you want to use the img tag to automatically show attached images.

So, whats the advantage to attaching the image to TNL then?

4. I, uh.. it eats Nick's bandwidth?

Actually the only benefit of attaching images is so you know only registered people see them. I guess I could yap with Nick or Bahn to set the forum up so that attachments are automatically shown...

5. uh. there's no such feature for that cka, you know that.

6. OOPS MY MISTAKE

7. apparently Nick is not concerned with bandwidth which is why he encourages users to take advantage of the attach feature.

8. The reason I encourage attaching images is to ensure pictures are there the next time someone reads a thread. Ever go to a cosplay or "post your picture" thread and read things like "Now that is one goofy dude" or "Nick, you are an absolute god!" only to find a big red "X" where the picture was? Keep using Attach.

As for diffusionx's question, which he characteristically asked with the word "fucking" (TM 2002-2003, Diffx, Ltd.): I am no vBulletin expert, but I would imagine all you have to do is rename the image to attach it again. I doubt vB checks for anything more than duplicate file names.

Try it and post your fucking findings here.

9. Here's my fucking findings Nick:

It doesn't work. I tested it twice, once changing it from like xxxx1 to xxxx2, and then to naming it completely different. No dice. Evidently vBulletin has some kind of goofy heuristics in it, because I cant post the image even if I rename it. It even gives me a link in the error page to where I can find the picture, Good polished programming from the folks at vBulletin, but it's seriously really annoying.

Unfortunately, I can't use the image tag with the image showing. If the tag can work with an image already uploaded to TNL, that'd be great, no problem, I'd just reference that one upload everytime I go to use that pic, but that doesn't happen.

If this is done, as cka said, to prevent exploits, then at least let us reupload the same picture.

10. Okay, you can post duplicates now. I'm more concerned with CPU use than bandwidth at the moment, so if vB does indeed thoroughly check files to see if they are duplicates, I'd rather free up the resources for something else.

Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention.