Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1020222324

Thread: Photography

1. All the shots were taken in the area around where I live in North Carolina. The grave shots were taken in small town called Tar Heel and the trees were in an even smaller town called White Oak.

2. Time to bump this old thread.

Anybody here do any sports photography? I know most of this thread is for the artsy kind of shots, but I do almost all my stuff with sports and musical productions for the school. Just wondering if anyone else has something to showcase or offer some tips on.

3. Its expensive unless you have DAMN good lighting in the sporting venue. The gym in my high school was so dark and poorly lit that in yearbook we'd just buy photos from the local paper, since you needed a 120-300 zoom lens with a f/stop of around 2 to get anything worth printing.

4. Our lighting isn't terrible, and we have a Nikon D100 and D70 camera, with 80-200 Nikkor 2.8 lenses, so... We actually get very good pictures. We can shoot the school plays and musical productions and they rock fest very well, too, even in near darkness and colored stage lighting. Outdoor sporting games are a problem sometimes, if the sport only has night games (like football). We usually come out pretty well, though. A basketball picture I took was submitted to one of those national high school journalism contests, in the photography category. I guess it made it a few rounds in because we haven't gotten the letter back saying 'Sorry, try next year'.

5. Screwing around with my brother's camera. It's a 70 dollar Kodak EasyShare. Pretty limited but who cares?

Last edited by Revoltor; 14 Feb 2005 at 10:39 AM.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

6. That's honestly nice quality for a seventy dollar camera. My father paid 250 for his Sony Cybershot series camera and they're about on par with eachother.

7. I used to take a lot of B&W pictures of the old buildings around where I live with this crappy old 35mm SLR from the 70s. I won a couple of awards from the pictures, I should try and scan them and post them here. I'm just afraid the quality would be shit.
    Time for a change

8. School basketball game

Took that last night at our school's BB game. The kid shown, Donta, broke the school season score record by a fair margin last night, and we still have on regular season game left. If the kid were about four or five inches taller, colleges would probably be all over him. He's too short to generate any real interest though, despite being pretty damn good. Pretty emotional game (figures we lost anyway, the rest of the team -sucks-).

For the record, that is extremely compressed. My webspace is tiny, and the original image is 4 megs (~3000xso resolution), and much better looking.

Not the best I've ever taken by any means, but given the lighting and space issues of a school gymnasium, I'm pretty happy with it.

School talent show

Absolutely nothing but stage lighting, so this picture is a bit of a marvel. No flash allowed, can't get up close, and our school equipment is not made for low-light conditions at all. Not visually the most amazing picture, but compared to the crap we've had in years past at SPICE, this is significantly better. Plus, I know the guy, so I like the picture more. This one's also cropped, reduced in size and heavily compressed (like above, used to be ~4.25 megs and 3000xso resolution).